What's in your tackle bag?

ryanctj

Just curious as to what everyone considers the minimum essential kit for your average caving trip in case of emergencies? I currently carry the following:

-Spare battery for headlamp
-Spare torch
-Orange survival bag
-Candle
-Waterproof matches
-Knife
-Chocolate
-Fleece balaclava

This seems to be enough to stay warm and dry in case of rescue. I was debating whether or not any First Aid kit would be useful, but I'm thinking most of it will be fairly useless in a rescue situation anyway?

Mike Hopley

Apart from basics like batteries and chocolate, I typically carry a first-aid kit and a 2-person storm shelter. I don't think it's necessary for everyone to carry these, but I like to have one "safety kit" per group. When there's room, I also carry an extra-warm pair of gloves (good when people get cold hands on the surface).

I do carry a knife and spanner (for SRT anyway), backup light, and a balaclava, but they stay on me. Oh, and I carry some other SRT extras, like a pulley, micro-traxion, and skyhook.

I'll sometimes carry water in a streamer bag, inside my SRT pod bag. If I'm doing a longer trip (like, 12+ hours), then I'll also take additional rehydration sachets (e.g. dioralyte) beyond those in my first-aid kit -- because I will definitely be dehydrated and plan to take one as standard.

The storm shelter can be used routinely, just to keep people warmer when they're waiting. The first-aid kit is opened less often, but can do a lot. Here are the contents of mine, slightly censored. Add to these the strongest painkiller you can get your hands on, legally or otherwise. This list is laminated inside the kit, which fits in a small "lock & lock" watertight plastic container. The tapes are wound around card.

1 pair gloves
2 cleansing wipes (alcohol-free)
1 sterile water pod (cleaning wounds)
1 pack wound closures
2 medium wound dressings
1 gauze pad
2 tampons (packing open wounds)
1 pair scissors
1 elastoplast fabric tape
1 duct tape
1 large plaster, 4 medium plasters
1 Compede blister plaster
1 triangular bandage
3 safety pins
Just enoughTM bog roll & 1 bin bag, bagged
2 injection swabs (alcohol, see below)
1 cannula (for pneumothorax, swab then stab)
1 rehydration powder
6 chlorine tablets (water purification)

Drugs are colour-coded:

L  Loperamide (Immodium) 2mg * 6
dosage 2 tablets then 1 every loose poo
expires May 2018

P  Paracetamol 500mg * 6
dosage 2 tablets every 4 hours
expires Sept 2021

I  Ibuprofen 200mg * 6
dosage 2 tablets every 4 hours with food
expires Oct 2019

Kenilworth

If I'm not mapping or doing srt, I don't carry a pack. My pockets are sufficient for a camera and notepad and a couple of spare batteries. If I plan to be more than six or eight hours I'll add a bottle of water and maybe a snack. I most always carry a brick hammer.

If mapping, which I usually am, I carry a small shoulder bag with my survey gear and the above mentioned things. If there are small or few vertical obstacles I have an srt kit that includes a bit of tape, a carabiner, and 2 prusiks. Full blown vertical demands a small backpack.

droid

Be careful with Ibuprofen.

Acquaintance of mine is allergic to it. he stops breathing.....

chunky

Load of broken camera kit after the handle of my peli case snagged and then ejected at the top of stake pot. Climbed down to the Streamway to a peli shaped maracas! :(

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

topcat

I carry much of the above, though my first aid kit is only drugs and a conforming bandage.

However, the majority of folk I cave with appear to carry nothing at all......

Most SRT trips I'd add an 8m oh shit rope.......but often don't own up to the fact if we run out of rope on a pitch I can't be bothered to drop ;)

PeteHall

I always carry 3 independent light sources, 2 on my helmet and a head torch around my neck. All on the same battery type.

Anything more is trip dependent, so pretty pointless making a list I think...

Mike Hopley

droid said:
Be careful with Ibuprofen.

Acquaintance of mine is allergic to it. he stops breathing.....

While that is extremely serious, it's also rare. If someone has an allergy to ibuprofen, I expect them to know about it and not take the stuff.

It's generally a useful drug in the context of sports injuries, or even just headaches.

I have seen it taken by the bucket-load on expeditions ("pink smarties"), including cases where people took it to suppress the pain and get down to underground camp. That wasn't such a good idea, as they hadn't rested the underlying injury, and proceeded to make it worse by doing a lot more caving. Agony ensued once they stopped taking the drugs.

Fulk

topcat quote:
Most SRT trips I'd add an 8m oh shit rope.......but often don't own up to the fact if we run out of rope on a pitch I can't be bothered to drop ;)

Not funny :tease:

Antwan

Most people don't fully value the benefit of paracetamol, even if you dont think it does anything it helps increase the effectiveness of morphine and similar drugs later on if you are in a serious medical situation.

I tend to carry a small tackle bag lined with a piece of carry mat
Can be used as a make shift splint or just a bit of insulation under your bum if you are stuck awaiting help/water levels etc...
A small 'Peli Case' with my emergency stuff
Candle
Lighter
Paracetamol
Gaffa tape (wrapped around an old BCA card)
3 ish non-adherant dressings
1* bandage (because you dont want gaffa tape around your head, the gaffa will do for anywhere else
Small eye wash pods
Half dozen ziplock sandwhich bags - can be used either to keep a rope burn etc sterile as possible, contain any clinical waste or keep a survey dry

One small pulley
one extra jammer (usually a small ropeman, though a mini-traxion would be preferred)
Few random krabs/mallions
10m of 8mm for emergency rigging (though I keep saying I will replace it with a 20m piece)
Always a sling on the bag for either rigging or a tourniquet
Bottle of water
Choccy bar (flavor dependent of the wife)

Spare batterys live in my oversuit... How many times have you 'Just left your bags somewhere whilst having a look up a side passage? Same with the bivibag that is usually inside my helmet

nearlywhite

Regarding Mr Hopley's kit list.

You only need to stab someone with a tension pneumothorax - and unless you have a large guage cannula you're better off with a cheese caving knife and the BCA card with duct tape.

Out of interest do you carry a defibrillator with you? Or aspirin? I don't know the incidence of tension pnemothoracies underground but I'm willing to bet it's pretty damn low and a lot lower than myocardial infarctions.

You can take half the world in first aid supplies but what the OP takes is more than sufficient but as has been said already: prepare for the trip in front of you.

PS How do the chlorine tablets help?

Mike Hopley

I should clarify that I'm not engaged in a "mine is bigger than yours" first-aid kit contest. This is the kit that I personally like to take, but there are other valid approaches -- including not taking any first-aid kit, especially for shorter / less committing trips.

nearlywhite said:
You only need to stab someone with a tension pneumothorax - and unless you have a large guage cannula you're better off with a cheese caving knife and the BCA card with duct tape.

I do have a large-gauge cannula for exactly that reason; I checked the current protocol before buying them. And stabbing someone with a knife does not sound like a good idea; certainly that was not an option on my training course (WMT AMRFT).

Swabbing the area is simply to reduce the risk of infection. It's hardly essential, but an alcohol wipe does not take up much space.

Out of interest do you carry a defibrillator with you? Or aspirin? I don't know the incidence of tension pnemothoracies underground but I'm willing to bet it's pretty damn low and a lot lower than myocardial infarctions.

Aspirin is a good suggestion, I'd forgotten that -- thanks! Defibrillators are much too large, obviously. ::) My first aid kit is small and useful, unlike many kits which are bulky and full of a million plasters.

Tension pneumothorax can happen following broken ribs, which are a common trauma injury. Okay, I expect it's still rare, but the cannula does not take much space.

I can also use the cannula to establish IV access, which is relevant when someone has a lot of internal bleeding -- by the time fluids arrive, it may be difficult to get it in a vein, unless you have an anaesthetist in the group. I can even cannulate myself one-handed, which is quite the party trick. 8)

You can take half the world in first aid supplies but what the OP takes is more than sufficient but as has been said already: prepare for the trip in front of you.

Like I said, this all fits in a very small box. About the size of 4 Kitkat Chunkys. Is that "half the world"?

With the exception of the cannula (which is only really useful in trained hands), my first-aid kit is based on the kits I made for OUCC expeditions in the years when I was Medical Officer, and some years when I had no official role but was still doing some of that work. People told me they were the best first-aid kits they'd ever had.

I have made a few additions over the years, notably the bin bag and Just Enough bog roll. Experience is a good teacher. :LOL:

PS How do the chlorine tablets help?

If you're somewhere with dodgy water, they can purify it. Rarely matters, but again they take up almost no space.

mattajperry

wayyy to much most of the time.

2-3 x 18650 batteries.
Petzl Tikka 200 &6 spare AAA
Victorinox Knife
2 lighters
paracetamol
3 candles
Paracord
Marsbar
electrical tape.
large zippy bags

In the main of my bag i carry water, extra food if needed and a few other small bits

Mike Hopley

Just to give an idea of the size of my first-aid kit:

UbyC3dE.jpg

Not exactly a lot to carry, is it?

ah147

Normally I take some fags and spare lighters.

Beyond that, nowt much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk