SRT in Merlin Mine

JB

Am hoping to go down Merlin Mine in Stoney Dale this evening. The CPCC riging guide says that SRT isn't appropriate for the trip. Anyone know what they're getting at cos I haven't got any ladders.

Thanks alot,
Jules.

paul

Not been there myself. Normally that would mean that the pitches are too short and/or awkard to be worth rigging properly with SRT rope.

The Caves page at Hith'n'Hike's site ( http://w01-0504.web.dircon.net/pdc/caves.htm ) shows Merlins as equipped or partly-equipped with eco anchors.

So there are probably decent artificial belays for ladder and lifeline.

seamoose

JB said:
The CPCC riging guide says that SRT isn't appropriate for the trip.

I've done the pitch in question using both SRT and ladders without any problem...

There are a couple of P bolts that can be rigged for a Y hang.

JB

Ta for that Paul and Seamoose. Since we haven't got ladders we'll do it with SRT.

paul

paul said:
Not been there myself. Normally that would mean that the pitches are too short and/or awkard to be worth rigging properly with SRT rope.

The Caves page at Hith'n'Hike's site ( http://w01-0504.web.dircon.net/pdc/caves.htm ) shows Merlins as equipped or partly-equipped with eco anchors.

So there are probably decent artificial belays for ladder and lifeline.

Just for the sake of completeness... Had a trip down Merlin's on Saturday.

Both the entrance shaft (which is optional as it drops into a connection reached by the adit entrance) and the "S2" shaft (second of 3 shafts, two of which are blind) which leads to the sumps and Gimli's Dream, are each equipped with 3 DMMs for a Y hang and a backup belay and are definitely suitable for SRT or ladder and lifeline.

AndyF

Merlins is a good trip for summer in low water, when it is sometimes possible to go upstream through several normally full sumps.

I'd also recommend Watergrove Sough in the area in dry conditions, its surprisingly interesting....