CDG Membership and mental status

Duncan Price

My GP did not advise me to refrain from cave diving whilst I was being treated for depression - however I did not feel like it.  I've never felt suicidal in a cave - quite the opposite - the will to live when the brown stuff is in the air condtioning is quite strong.

I would not be keen on someone who has a flagrant disregard for their own safety doing any high risk activity.  Contrary to popular belief, most cave divers are very cautious and take great care to minimise any danger to themselves or others.

D

DCWB

An obvious troll, perhaps the clue is in the poster's name. 

It does however provide an opportunity for some shameless advertising of the recently updated CDG Risk Assessment at:

http://www.cavedivinggroup.org.uk/Articles/Risk%20Assessment%20Final%20050905.pdf

Mental impairment is clearly identified as a risk and the mitigating activity is to abort the dive.  Preventative actions include seeking a professional medical opinion prior to entering the water.

The CDG does not discriminate on the basis of disability, mental or otherwise.  Unfortunately the cave environment is not forgiving.

Cave_Troll

Sorry it wasn't a troll. I was just wondering what would happen if when asked "you do know that cave diving is dangerous..." the reply was "it dosn't matter"

A

AMW

In most case* turn a dive on thirds or fear  :eek: which ever comes first
Unless on a rebreather or using a DPV then not on thirds although fear still applies  :sneaky:.
Andrew

Stu

Peter Burgess said:
Cave_Troll:

You can expect people to be suspicious of you when your avatar clearly shows you wearing a veil.

Don't think the fear would be any less if he were to unveil!!!  :eek:

D

DCWB

Cave_Troll said:
Sorry it wasn't a troll. I was just wondering what would happen if when asked "you do know that cave diving is dangerous..." the reply was "it dosn't matter"

Another reply is: "Dangerous is such a sloppy word.  Yes, cave diving contains hazards and risks but on balance the dangers associated with cave diving compare favorably with those associated with horse riding, rugby, Himalayan mountaineering or sitting on the sofa stuffing your face with pies."

You don't really want to see what he looks like! Trust me - all the girls in Sheffield can't be wrong!  :LOL:

Sorry Cave Troll  :tease:

caverholic

I don't think you need to be suicidal to enjoy cave diving, its just an obvious continuation for a person who enjoys caving and diving. Any way your not suicidal cave troll just slightly perverse.

Stop asking around Tweb and just go and join the CDG before your girlfriend ( if you have one which were not sure but think you do) stops you from doing it.
:mad:

Cave_Troll

i wasn't saying you had to be suicidal to want to go cave diving, it was just an idle question i found myself thinking at work today...

Just because your girlfriend has banned you :)

You gonna carry bottles for me?

Duncan Price

1 in 4 people will get cancer.  1 in 4 people will suffer from depression.  I've been unlucky and experienced both: I cave dived through the former (much to my consultant's alarm) and gave it a rest through the latter.  Neither are a laughing matters.  If you are feeling shit then get help from your family, friends, GP and councelling services...

Cave divers are not nutters - they might seem a little odd, but they are the most well balanced people (often with a chip on both shoulders) that you will ever meet.

Before I started cave diving my girlfriend (at the time) threatened to leave me if I ever took it up.  I did (behind her back) and kept it a quiet until I had qualified though the CDG.  She later married me and we both lost my best man to the activity...

I believe that the late Sheck Exley said that he cave dived in a controlled state of paranoia. Obviously if you find the activity too frightening then it is not for you - conversely, if you find it too easy then you don't have the right mindset to deal with any problems.

If anyone wants to discuss this privately then I'll try to assist - otherwise that is all I've got to say on the matter.  I hope that forum members (and the WWW) respect my disclosure.

Never, ever, think of topping yourself underground.  Think of the CRO....

Duncan (one bottle of wine when I wrote this).

D

DCWB

Hats off to Duncan.  We are lucky people to be able to learn from the experiences of others and it is a strong person who is prepared to disclose the details of the trials and tribulations that life has thrown at them.  An experienced diver is estimated to be 25 times safer than a novice, so it is always worth listening to someone who has been there before you.

bubba

Administrator
Yes, that was a very good post Duncan - I suffer on and off from depression and fully understand why you gave it a rest whilst in a trough. Keep on keeping on mate ;)

A

andymorgan

DCWB said:
An obvious troll, perhaps the clue is in the poster's name. 

What is a troll in this context? Apart from a plastic creature with long coloured hair or guardian of bridges

M

MSD

In 1998 I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder (manic depression to laymen). One symptom I experienced during depressive episodes was severe panic attacks. After some soul searching and discussions with friends I put my diving gear up in the attic and quit cave diving. It was obvious that I wasn't mentally fit to go cave diving. A knock-on effect was that I was so upset about having to make this decision that I also put my caving gear up in the attic and didn't touch it for several years.

I think cave diving probably (by its nature) attracts people who are quite highly strung. The paradox is that cave divers tend to be people who can also control/hide their emotions very carefully and have trained themselves to withstand enormous stress during cave diving itself. However, there is often an inner tension and turbulence which can unexpectedly manifest itself, usually not in cave diving situations but in ordinary life. I guess it's a sort of pressure relief valve which goes off. So yes, mental health is something that cave divers should think about. Actually it something that most people ought to be much more aware of than they are.

Seven years on and I'm a very active caver and I'm just starting to go cave diving again. My situation is pretty stable and I don't feel worried about my health. It's a long road to get back to the standard of diving I was at in the 1990s, never mind the fact that diving technology has moved on. On the other hand I've done a lot of other things instead during the last years. I've had two more children, played in an orchestra, built a summer cottage (not finished yet....), etc. etc. So just maybe I'm a more well-rounded person as a result. Much good can often come out of what seems like a disaster at the time.

Well, well. Duncan spilled his beans and I was so impressed that I was inspired to spill mine.

Mark

peterdevlin

Duncan Price said:
I believe that the late Sheck Exley said that he cave dived in a controlled state of paranoia.

Excellent posting Duncan.

I had wanted to get into cave diving for a number of years before I actually did. However this was during a period of being out of work for 2 years following being made redundant. There was no way I had the mental "what it takes" to cave dive.

On any day I plan a cave dive, I always have a little debate within my head in which I assess myself (physically, mentally, my fear of the dive). I consider the "will I dive or just have coffee in Steve Rounds?" debate to be one of my critical pre-dive checks.

Ciao,
Peter