Cylinder Wraps

MDS

Anyone know where I can source scuba cylinder wraps from? the sort that are pre-printed with the gas type/MOD/brew % etc. I need them to mark up and protect ally stage/deco cylinders for some tekky training I'm doing very shortly

All help appreciated

Ta - Matt S

Duncan Price

Just stick some 2" wide gaffer tape (or masking tape) on the cylinder and write on this the mix using permanent marker.  I've never really held with adding your name (though all my tanks have my initials written around the neck - mainly to stop other theiving gypsy cave divers from making off with them) or MOD.

As for protecting tanks then mesh (no good ing caves) or snoopy loops work fine.

Duncan Price

My O2 cylinders are painted black with white collars - when I'm using them on open circuit I use my only metal bodied Cyclon 300 2nd stage and the LP hose and mouthpiece are yellow so its pretty hard to **** up.

Another thing I have done is to write the mix feeding the reg on a bit of tape attached to the second stage.  This is useful when one is carrying multiple mixes beyond their MOD (eg. when doing a circuit).  Before putting the reg in your mouth, you hold it up to your mask to see what's in it.  I also try to use specific second stages (black or yellow plastic bodied Cyclons) for air/nitrox etc.

MDS

Duncan Price said:
My O2 cylinders are painted black with white collars - when I'm using them on open circuit I use my only metal bodied Cyclon 300 2nd stage and the LP hose and mouthpiece are yellow so its pretty hard to **** up.

I have a RED 2nd stage Cyklon and you've just given me an excellent idea - thanks

Duncan Price said:
Another thing I have done is to write the mix feeding the reg on a bit of tape attached to the second stage.  This is useful when one is carrying multiple mixes beyond their MOD (eg. when doing a circuit).  Before putting the reg in your mouth, you hold it up to your mask to see what's in it.  I also try to use specific second stages (black or yellow plastic bodied Cyclons) for air/nitrox etc.

another excellent piece of advice - divers who turn every stone where there safety is concerned impress me!
I'd green you but this facility isn't available here (y)

Is it possible to bottom DSM safely? Would like to go back there for a deeper dive sometime!

M

MSD

If you label the regulators and rely on that, don't forget that you are making the information chain longer, which increases the chance of making a mistake. So if you mark the regulators as well as the tanks you MUST double check that you have put the right regulator on the right tank.

It would be nice if you could test the O2 content direct from the regulator. The main problem is presumably to obtain a constant flow. I wonder whether you could perform a reasonable double check by simply taking three breaths and then blowing into an oxygen meter? Would there be problems with moisture? Obviously you will absorb some oxygen and you might still have a bit of residual gas in your lungs so the reading wouldn't be exact, but it would be close enough to identify a serious error.

Mark

Duncan Price

MSD said:
If you label the regulators and rely on that, don't forget that you are making the information chain longer, which increases the chance of making a mistake. So if you mark the regulators as well as the tanks you MUST double check that you have put the right regulator on the right tank.

That's obvious!  The labels are there for a sanity check for when you are wearing the tanks and can't get to look at them.

MSD said:
It would be nice if you could test the O2 content direct from the regulator. The main problem is presumably to obtain a constant flow. I wonder whether you could perform a reasonable double check by simply taking three breaths and then blowing into an oxygen meter? Would there be problems with moisture? Obviously you will absorb some oxygen and you might still have a bit of residual gas in your lungs so the reading wouldn't be exact, but it would be close enough to identify a serious error.

Why - surely you check the mix before the dive (at home?).  The only time I blow over an O2 cell is to check its working - 21% in air, about 16-17% in exhaled air (depending on how long I've held my breath).  Its not a reliable means of calibration though.

If you must then you can waft gas over your O2 analyser by holding it up to the mouthpiece and purging the second stage gently.

DSM???