Braida Garth and East Kingsdale

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
The Coates family owned Braida Garth farm for as long as I can remember and always had good relationships with cavers.  The Happy Wanderers and then Northern Cave Club had a basic hostel on the farm for decades.  The farm was sold recently and now has new owners and tenants.

I have met with the tenants, Lucy and Tom, who seem a lovely couple and I have no reason to think that the easy access conditions we enjoyed previously shouldn't continue.

If you are heading up to the caves of East Kingsdale please make a courtesy call at the farm on the way up.

Please remember this is a busy working farm, be alert and responsible when passing through the yard.

Most importantly park responsibly on the Kingsdale road.  Remember farm vehicles are large and may need to make an acute turn into the driveway.  The spaces opposite the gateway are a turning circle NOT a lay-by,please do not park there.

Especially during this first summer please make every effort to show the warm and generous nature of cavers and to ensure we all get off on the right foot.

Tim Allen
CNCC Access Officer

Simon Wilson

Thanks Tim. I've been caving in West Kingsdale quite a bit over the last few months and been greeted by a smile and a nod from the new farmer. Happy days.

Cavematt

Great news! Thanks for being so proactive on this Tim, and thanks to Lucy and Tom for their understanding. After a splendid trip down Vesper Pot a few months ago (after a ten year absence) I was reminded what a great day out there is to be had on East Kingsdale.

Matt Ewles (CNCC Secretary)