Top 10 UK Caving Trips

damian

Here's one to get you all thinking  :-\ ... what would you recommend to a visiting foreign caver as the 10 best trips they can do here in the UK?

My top 10 (in no particular order) as follows:

• Dan yr Ogof - Far North
  • Daren Cilau - The Antlers via Man in the Roof then Terminal Sump
  • OFD 1 to Smith's Armoury to Top Entrance
  • Ogof Draenen Short Round Trip
  • Otter Hole to Tunnels Junction
  • Lost John's to Boxhead via Monastery pitches
  • Simpson's-Swinsto Exchange
  • Meregill
  • Diccan-Dolly Tubs Exchange
  • Providence Pot - Dow Cave

I reckon that should give our visitors a pretty impressive introduction to UK caving

Some trips I think might feature but can't because I haven't done them are: St. Cuthbert's, JH-Titan Exchange

So let's hear yours.

Les W

My favourites have got to be
  • OFD -  Pendulum passage pull through - main stream to marble showers - out via midnight passage and edwards short cut.
  • Swildons Hole -Short Round Trip
  • Longwood Swallet - out via August streamway
  • Giants - round trip
  • Lancaster hole to wretched rabbit
  • Obviously a visit to GB the largest chamber in Britain ;)
  • Gaping Ghyll - Stream passage pot - Dihedral exchange
I agree with you on a Diccan - Dolly tubs exchange - surely the best SRT trip in the country (y)

P

Prince of Darkness

I would have thought that  GG direct should have qualified, Titan as well.

Otter Hole is in my opinion a world class trip and my most memorable one in the UK. How many caves have a tidal sump leading to a system like that.

dunc

I would have thought that  GG direct should have qualified, Titan as well.
Agree with that, Les suggested GG-Stream which makes for a fine exchange.
And how about Titan-JH exchange taking in White River for an entertaining day out?

Agree with most things on that list (not that I've done all of them but they sound good on paper) but I would say Birks Fell Cave is worthy of inclusion.

damian

dunc said:
I would have thought that GG direct should have qualified, Titan as well.
Agree with that, Les suggested GG-Stream which makes for a fine exchange.
And how about Titan-JH exchange taking in White River for an entertaining day out?

Agree with most things on that list (not that I've done all of them but they sound good on paper) but I would say Birks Fell Cave is worthy of inclusion.

... but what would you leave out to include these? You can only have 10.

Stream to Dihedral is a great trip apart from the horrible bit of passage between the two, which means I can't count it. I'm planning on doing a Rathole-Dihderal exchange on Tuesday, so might decide to replace one of my 10 with this afterwards. Will let you know what I think.

Damian.

Pitlamp

One of the best trips in the UK by far is Wookey to 24. Although it pains me to say it as a northern caver it really is magnificent.

A Titan / JH exchange, taking in the high level pitches in Far Sump extension involves many fine shafts - possibly the most ropework of any UK trip.

Birks Fell should definitely be included; a real Wharfedale gem.  So should Boreham Cave to the China Shop (if only access could be sorted).

A trip in Peak Cavern via Treasury and the Speedwell streamway then up Cliff Cavern rates very highly.

Any number of trips in the Easegill system should be included.

Wales?  Where's that?

County Pot to Lancaster Hole going via the Easter Grotto round trip would be a good one, especially taking in the Lancs Main Drain.

Although I haven't done either, Top Sink or Pool Sink and the same trip would be impressive.

Dan.

Les W

Obviously the Grand Traverse should be on the list - Pipikin to Top Sink, an absolute classic and (currently) the longest through trip in the UK  :) :)

Les W

When I was there, Bye George hadn't been found.
I'm sure you're right, is Bye George bigger than Pipikin? If so then it is less "Classic"  ;)

H

hoehlenforscher

If i had continental caving chums over and found myslf in any of the classic UK caving regions my must do list would be

Wales: OFD through trip from Cwm Dwr to Top entrance & Little neath River cave
Mendip: Swildons short round & St Cuthberts Swallet
Derbyshire: Giants crabwalk in high level out & P8
Yorkshire: Penyghent Pot & swinstow through trip

There are others I would do time permitting but as a flavour of what classic British caving is all about those would be my choices.

A

andymorgan

Les W said:
When I was there, Bye George hadn't been found.
I'm sure you're right, is Bye George bigger than Pipikin? If so then it is less "Classic"  ;)

I haven't done it, but I hear Bye George is very 'classic' (y)

racingsnake

Following are my top ten.

Black shiver
Meregill
Nettlepot
County to lancaster
Simpsons
GG
Notts Pot
Penygent
OFD
Out sleets Beck

R

RM

10 I've done

Titan - White river series - Peak
King Pot
Diccan Pot
OFD 1 - top (+OFD 3)
Little Neath River Cave
Dowbergill Passage
Pool - Lancs
Black Shiver
Swildons Short Round + Blue Pencil
GG Main Shaft

10 I've not

Swildons Long Round
Penhyghent Pot
Otter Hole
Dan yr Ogof
Daren Cilau
Meergill
Ogof Draenen
Gingling
Notts pot
Large Pot - Rift Pot Exchange (both awesome trips)

Katie

RM said:
Large Pot - Rift Pot Exchange (both awesome trips)

You didn't seem quite so keen on large pot when we did it!

Anyway i don't think u can leave peak out of a top ten list.
And i agree with RM that Titan - White River - Peak is a very god way to see it!

dunc

Anyway i don't think u can leave peak out of a top ten list.
And i agree with RM that Titan - White River - Peak is a very god way to see it!
The only problem with that is you have to do Colostomy Crawl.. Damian said Stream to GG had 'horrible passage' so if thats bad CC must be worse!

gus horsley

I think I'd go for some I've done in the past:

Cwmdwr - Top Entrance via the traverses and Edwards Shortcut.
Little Neath.
Ogof Rhyd Sych.
Providence - Dow.
Top Sink - Lancaster.
Stream Passage Pot - Disappointment Pot exchange.
Penyghent Pot.
Swinsto - Valley.
Oxlow - Giants.
Longwood Swallet.

And Runscar if they're a bunch of novices....

Les W

dunc said:
The only problem with that is you have to do Colostomy Crawl.. Damian said Stream to GG had 'horrible passage' so if thats bad CC must be worse!
But if you like mud then muddy passages are good, aren't they?  :-\

As an introduction to the best caves of Britain you have to live with a bit of mud. :confused:

Collostomy Crawl is a fine bit of passage and much cleaner than it used to be (so I'm told by some "old boys") and anyway if you do white river you miss out most (some) of Collostomy Crawl (y)

Pitlamp

It's not necessary to do Colostomy Crawl; there is a much cleaner way out to Peak.

But whichever way you do it - any trip in the Peak system involving Titan is good.