Lunehead Mine caverns

Getwet

Has anyone any information on Lunehead mine caverns, and how to find them?

Northern caves gives a grid reference but no other clues. We went looking armed with a GPS but were unable to locate them.We were certainly in the general area, but the grid reference appears to be in correct.

Can anyone help?

Mr Fell

As I understand it, the enterance to Lunehead Mine Caverns has collapsed. I was told this some years ago now and subsequently I have not been informed that they have been opened again - somebody else might have more up to date information :?:

L

Langthwaite Pot

I think I went there a couple of years ago and the level had collapsed just inside the entrance. I heard a rumour that the Moldywarps had dug a shaft into the mine beyond the collapse, but don't know anymore.

Getwet

Can you remember what the entrance area was like?

The grid refrence we had put us right beside two ruined buldings in an area that looked like it used to be a mine. There was a pile of rubble close that could have been a entrance tunnel but it was demolished rather than collapsed

L

Langthwaite Pot

From memory there was a rough winding track down a slope to a little stream and a couple of ruined buildings. The entrance was a couple of hundred meters upstream from the buildings near a little bridge. It was right next to the track with a rubble pile above it.

I think it was Lunehead Mine, but I'm not certain!

Getwet

From what you say it sounds like the same area.

I must admit we did not look as much upstream of the buildings as we did downstream. A farmer tending his sheep advised us there were no shafts/tunnels etc in that vicinity, he seemed friendly enough and curious as to why we should want to go in such places anyway! His comments did bring an end to our searching

Perhaps worth another look next time I m in the area