Victoria Aven - damaged rope/loose boulder - DO NOT CLIMB

cooleycr

All, it has been reported to the Peak Cavern keyholders that there is a damaged section of rope in Victoria Aven along with a loose boulder so DO NOT CLIMB UFN.

We are in the process of arranging to re-rig the pitches and to assess whether the loose boulder needs to be removed.

Many thanks, for and on behalf of the Peak Cavern Keyholders

Charley.

cooleycr

Sorry, I spent 39 years with the Post Office Telecommunications/British Telecommunications/British Telecommunications PLC/BT Group PLC and at every turn there were TLA's so forgive me if I continue to use them.... :-[

Three Letter Abbreviations

Pete is correct, TBH I assumed this to be standard SMS language, the sort of lazy speak that kills Phil W  :chair:

alastairgott

As far as I?m aware no update Larry, I?ll be keyholding for you boys and girls on Saturday. So get yer thinking caps on as to where you want to go.  :D (y)

alastairgott

Hi Larry, as far as I know I?m letting you into the cave before 10 as per the peak speedwell website. I?ve got more than one group going in and if i were to join the first group which some of my mates are on then it would be difficult for me to let you in at 11am. Can?t be in more than one place at the same time.  (y)

would we be able to meet at TSG 10am, + c30mins to get changed
C.C has said that we just need to be in before 11am?

alastairgott

Only got one day of caving this weekend, and three groups to let into peak, so gotta make the most of the caving day on Saturday. Maybe another time.

cooleycr

There is no update on Victoria Aven at this time, we are currently formulating a plan of action and as soon as it is safe once more, I will post on here.

cooleycr

The Works will be completed soon but for now, please do not attempt the ascent as the whole area needs re-rigging with new rope and is currently unsafe...You have been warned...Thank you for your patience and understanding.

LarryFatcat

Looks from the 'Derbyshire Caver' 156 like some progress has been made, is it now open or is there an estimate when it will be open?

pwhole

The damaged rope has yet to be replaced, but it's imminent - the damaged section has been tied out and a bypass for that put in, and hopefully it will be replaced 'very soon'.

cooleycr

It had been reported to the Peak Cavern keyholders that there was a damaged section of rope in Victoria Aven - this whole area has now been completely re-rigged and the very large boulder assessed and can now again be included in the list of possible trips within the system.

However, there are still loose rocks of varying sizes which could easily be displaced and could cause serious damage/harm so please exercise extreme caution!

blakey

I'd just like to echo Charley's comments about loose rock up in this aven. Whilst it has been re-rigged and bolts have been moved to avoid some larger loose sections, EXTREME CARE should be exercised in this section of cave.
Stay safe out there!

pwhole

If visiting Victoria Chamber at the top of the Right-hand series (not altered during this recent work), please use the more recent fixed rigging (blue rope!) accessed from the 30m ledge where the LH pendulum starts, and which is a short traverse rightwards (north) and then onto three rebelayed pitches above that to the hole through to the safe ledge at about 85m. Do not stand on the cemented false floor near the end of the initial traverse, as there's about three tons of rock hanging from a calcite skin above the shaft base . The whole of this RH route is coated in flowstone, so although damper in winter, has no loose stuff anywhere.

The 'old' RH route, via the rebelay at the the top of the Left-hand route, where this recent work has taken place, is not recommended - this is a very wide pendulum that takes the caver very close indeed to some of these loose rocks on the far wall en-route. I once brought down a 10kg monster in a rope bag that was sat on a ledge about as wide as my hand, and a sneeze would have dislodged it. Climbing up the wrong side of the pendulum to get to the the rebelay to go down again was miserable.