Fenix LR40R 12000 Lumen Searching Flashlight Review

Caver Keith

I'm always on the lookout for new lighting sources for my caving videos and I was seduced by this high-performance rechargeable ultra-compact torch with 5 flood settings - 350, 1000, 3000, 6000 and an amazing 11000 lumens at its highest power. It also has 4 spotlight settings - 50, 150, 350 and 1000 lumens.
It is powered by an impressive 12000mAh battery pack consisting of 4 x 18650 cells.
It is recharged via a USB C port and also has a standard USB output port so that spare battery capacity can be used to charge other mobile devices such as a GoPro. 
It's an incredible addition to the video lighting for Caver Keith videos.

http://youtu.be/VH_zf_2xxd8

Fulk

That looks very impressive, Keith. Have you used these torches for still photography, and if so, what are the results like?

Caver Keith

Fulk said:
That looks very impressive, Keith. Have you used these torches for still photography, and if so, what are the results like?

I'm not a photographer but I have experimented a little with the FD65s, but I haven't tried the LR40R yet.
I'm attaching some of the photos what I took with the torches for lighting and no flash.

Gnome Passage Ogof Ffynnon Ddu by dcrtuk, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_9de by dcrtuk, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_9da by dcrtuk, on Flickr

The Columns by dcrtuk, on Flickr

royfellows

I have been using the Imolent DX 80 with reasonably good results.
I have found it useful on a 'led' trip where there was necessity to keep on the move, also in upper chest deep flooded workings. The camera was the Fuji XP 120 on ordinary full auto, the properties sheet for the pics indicates ASA 200 and 400 range, which is not bad. I am talking point and shoot here.

I have had issues with the torch. its not IP 68 as claimed, the weakness is the charge cover. Also, the safe lock is not exactly safe as I found out when it came on while I was carrying it and it burned a hole through its case and nearly set me on fire. When using it with a film crew it got really hot but did not power down from Turbo, another possible fault?

I suspect that the Fenix tested is much better quality.

I can do a more comprehensive review of the Imolent in a new thread if people are interested?

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
Following Caver Keith?s recommendation I recently purchased one of these lights.

A brief summary: ?Wow?

I have only taken it underground a couple of times so far.
One of those times was down Titan where it comfortably lit the shaft from the bottom up to the EH.

It is very compact for such a bright light but is quite a heavy little package.

The light it produces is incredible. The flood is very even with no blank spots or ?hot? spots. The spot is tight and projects a LONG way.

I have only played around with a few still photos but can see how it could help produce some good / different photos as well as a video light. The combination of flood lighting generally and the spot highlighting a feature / caver could be interesting.

Another possible benefit to cavers is in looking for new potential high level passages. The torch does turn avens into ?daylight?.

Time will tell on durability, but really pleased so far.

Thanks Keith for your initial review.

Ian

Caver Keith

Hi Ian. Pleased to hear that you like it too. I've used mine for taking video in OFD to light up the Nave Pitches and in Craig A Ffynnon in Travertine Passage and the Hall of the Mountain King. The results can be viewed between 13:09 and 15:53 in this video.

http://youtu.be/3NQyN1FPyIg?t=789