Local Cave Leader Training For Scout Leaders

Hi,

The Association of Scout Caving Teams is organising a weekend training session for the Local Cave Leader Award based in the Peak District 31st October-1st November. The training would form the basis required for obtaining a Scout Leader Caving Permit and would also qualify towards the LCMLA at level 1 or 2.

Further details from either idriswilliams@aol.com or andrea.roberts@blueyonder.co.uk.

Idris Williams Chair ASCT & Shropshire Scouts Caving Team

PaulW

How old is you daughter, is she a guide or a guide leader.

It is not a weekend for scouts,

It is a weekend for scout cave leaders.

I am not involved in the organisation of the course but, this will probably give you a quicker answer

HTH

bograt

She's been a Guide leader for about 4 years, she was assistant cave leader at Peak 2015, though not caving qualified, of course, she may not be interested.

PaulW

looks like guiding does not make it easy as it says if you use climbing equipment the the instructor needs to be a member of AALA, so in my assumption they are looking to use external instructors and not their own. There is a different system in place for scouting.

But if your daughter is interested then, A: confirm my findings with the guide Association and B: contact Andres who is organising the weekend

Hi,
Quick answer, we did not consider invite Guide Leaders. However, she would be welcome. The Guide rules for caving insist that the Group be lead by a Local Cave Leader. Attending the course and subsequently being assessed would be a pre-requisite for leading guides underground. Scout Leaders do not need this to lead but do to assess.

Personally I despair of Guides in our County as they often ask me to take girls underground, I have the neccessary qualifications but they also have a rule that a Guide Leader must accompany them, this they are unable to provide! 
Get the lady in question to get in touch.

Idris Williams 

alisonball

Hello,
I've not heard about this from Staffs County Scouts, but instead through a fellow caver.
I would be interested in attending as an SL and caver, however what sort of level of existing experience is needed. I'm just getting back into it after an ~6 year break.
Alison

phizz4

I usually get an email about Association of Scout Caving activities but for some reason this one didn't get through, so I apologise for not circulating it wider in Staffordshire. If Idris could email me the details I will forward it to Helen and get the County Office to circulate County wide. If Alison has any questions about Scout caving in Staffordshire please get in touch with me.

badger

when I spoke to guide hq a few years ago there answer was this, it might have changed.

"as guiding does not have anything in place for caving it would follow scout rules"

I would check with guide hq to see if the situation has changed.

badger

reading what idris has replied would seem that guides have changed their system to what was required a few years ago

Andrear68

For those who have contacted me - I will be sending an email out today or tomorrow with more details and a form for you to complete. 

Hi,

Regarding Guide rule for caving they have changed in last few years, they aren't free to access except by a guide leader but the anything goes of a few years back no longer applies. The rules insist that the party be lead by an award holder at the appropiate level & that an adult guide leader is in the group.

There is also a section saying that if climbing equipment is used then there must be a ALS license, personally I never use climbing equipment underground, what I use is caving equipment. Actually when you analyse what cavers use ( exploratory aven climbing excluded) there is little in common. Ropes are static not dynamic, harnesses are different,  helmets might be to climbing standard but have been modified to take lamps. The only common item is karabiners, you could rigg using mailons! That is going to be my defence in court if the shit hits the fan, assuming I can ever persuade the Guide leaders to take their girls and onr come with me!

Idris

alisonball said:
Hello,
I've not heard about this from Staffs County Scouts, but instead through a fellow caver.
I would be interested in attending as an SL and caver, however what sort of level of existing experience is needed. I'm just getting back into it after an ~6 year break.
Alison

Hi Alison,

Email me direct at idriswilliams@aol.com and I will pass your details on. If concerned about previous experience look at the LCMLA handbook which you can read on line on the BCA website training, Alternatively send me a summary and I will forward to the Trainer for an opinion.

Idris

phizz4 said:
I usually get an email about Association of Scout Caving activities but for some reason this one didn't get through, so I apologise for not circulating it wider in Staffordshire. If Idris could email me the details I will forward it to Helen and get the County Office to circulate County wide. If Alison has any questions about Scout caving in Staffordshire please get in touch with me.

Please let me have your email address to  idriswilliams@aol.com and I will get the details sent, no doubt someone in Staffs has changed their email address and we don't have it.

Sounds like you should be recruiting Helen forthwith. Why are Staffs a member of ASCT? i believe you have at least 3 Scout Cave Leaders but keep yourselves very quiet?

Idris

Idris

Hi Alison,

Not heard anything else from you are you struggling with previous experience? Let me know if there is any info that you want.

Idris

Hi All,

There are still 5 places left at level 1. Book now or be left behind! See below to contact Andrea.

Idris Williams

idriswilliams said:
Hi,

The Association of Scout Caving Teams is organising a weekend training session for the Local Cave Leader Award based in the Peak District 31st October-1st November. The training would form the basis required for obtaining a Scout Leader Caving Permit and would also qualify towards the LCMLA at level 1 or 2.

Further details from either idriswilliams@aol.com or andrea.roberts@blueyonder.co.uk.

Idris Williams Chair ASCT & Shropshire Scouts Caving Team