BCA AGM tomorrow

BCA Chair

The BCA AGM will be held at Parkend, Forest of Dean, commencing tomorrow (3 June 2018) at 10:30 am.

Papers for the meeting, including officer's reports, can be downloaded from the BCA web site:

http://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php?id=general_meetings:2018_agm

If you are intending to come then you are advised to print your own copies of the documents since only a limited number of copies will be available in the meeting.

If you are intending to vote as an individual, please bring your membership card with you. If you are intending to vote on behalf of a group you will need a letter of authorisation from the group on whose behalf you are voting.

Nick Williams
Ac. Hon. Secretary

BCA Chair

Unfortunately the minutes have been delayed by illness. We are working on getting them out as soon as possible.

cap n chris

3 months have elapsed.

The most recent minutes available as reference documentation is from April. And that's a draft. In fact, the last minutes available that are not a draft are from almost a year ago (October 2017).

The worry is that persistence will make one stand out as a PITA or agitator when all I'm trying to do is keep abreast of things through genuine interest and involvement; although on second thoughts maybe if no-one else gives a monkeys perhaps I shouldn't either?

Potentially attending a meeting next week, and yet currently have no idea whatsoever regarding the state of play with BCA from three months ago at the AGM, let alone in more recent times. How is one supposed to be up to speed on national events/policies etc?

Perhaps the best bet is to just STFU and, if no minutes arrive between now and the scheduled meeting, refrain from attending on the grounds there is no current information available upon which to base any input.

PeteHall

Seems a fair point Chris.

Ordinarily I would reckon that it's hard enough to fill voluntary positions and volunteers have other commitments which may vary between time of volunteering and time of needing to do something, so you just need to make the most of what you get. However I believe that the BCA has a paid administrator to write up and publish the minutes, so shouldn't be a problem in this case.

Have you tried emailing the BCA secretary for an update?

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
There are a few notes on the BCA AGM and council meeting in the CNCC newsletter and council minutes if that helps although I realise these are not the minutes you seek.  There are obviously ongoing problems with illness within the BCA admin team and I'm sure they are frustrated about the minutes but in a difficult position on what to do.  I attended so if there is anything specific I might be able to recall.

One motion that was passed at the AGM was to look into allowing access to council meetings by video conferencing.  I was tasked to investigate this.  If BCA embrace this type of meeting then one advantage is that the meetings can be recorded on camera and hosted on the web for all to see.  Live streaming is also possible.  Whilst it may not float everyone's boat the importance of manually writing and agreeing minutes is then less urgent.  The technology is there we just need the will to do it.

Ian Ball

I am far more likely to read minutes than watch a broadcast, I am far more likely to watch a broadcast than attend.

droid

The idea of watching a 5 hour video, complete with people repeating themselves, circular arguments, ad hominem nonsense and specious comments is absolutely horrific.... :LOL: :LOL:

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Oh don't get me wrong - I agree  ;)  However if anyone is desperately keen to find out what goes on or just wants to flick through to specific topics then it could be all there. 

...and of course the infamous 8 hour meeting of 2016 woud be fully recorded in all its glory..... ;)

Jenny P

There is also a brief report on the BCA AGM given to the DCA Council Meeting which took place on 30th. June.  The Officers' reports were all sent out prior to this meeting and will also be attached to the Minutes, which I am just finishing off.

Apologies for the delay in completing the Minutes - actually I stood down as DCA Secretary last February but, as there is no volunteer willing to take on the post at present, I had to do the Minutes for the June meeting.  I'm not around for the next DCA meeting on 27th. October so someone else will have to step in.

Jenny Potts,
Acting Sec. DCA. (But not for much longer PLEASE!)

cap n chris

PeteHall said:
Have you tried emailing the BCA secretary for an update?

Yes. Contacted same day you posted (thanks for the prod).

Zero response.

Beginning to wonder whether BCA actually has a functioning existence.

Alternatively whether it's just me that gets a cold shoulder. Anyone else experienced similar radio silence?

My best guess is the Minutes will arrive sometime before 6th October (which ain't that far off, actooli), otherwise BCA will be unable to convene it's scheduled meeting that day on the grounds you can't have a meeting if no-one's been able to mug up on the one before.

cap n chris

In 6 days time it is the next BCA meeting. If no Minutes are available from the previous meeting what happens when the agenda gets to Matters Arising? Does the whole thing implode or do people just smirk and pretend all is well?