Peak Cavern~Halfway house and Pilkington series

adep

Can anybody tell me what the current state of the ropes and bolts are in these two areas, having read the Peak district caving Micro guides they both sound like they are worth the effort but suggest that ropes and anchors are from the 90's!!, have they been rebolted??

Pitlamp

I presume you mean "Speedwell" Cavern Halfway House, rather than Peak Cavern Halfway House? Assuming the former, it goes off the show cave section, so it's not as simple as just going for a trip. I don't know what the state of the ropes is at the moment but last time I was there I really didn't like the stacked deads.

There is at least one person who regularly uses this forum who has been up Pilkington's not too long ago, so hopefully he'll be able to give you information. From memory (Scud can probably confirm either way) neither of these areas is included in the list of fixed aids which the Peak Cavern Keyholders do their best to maintain, so, whatever people tell you on here, proceed with great caution.

adep

Thanks John, warning noted!! and thanks for the correction on the location, i dont have a survey!!

Pitlamp

You got me curious adep - so I checked the list of fixed aids which the Peak Keyholders maintain and neither of those two sets of fixed ropes is on that list. I think it'd be worth trying to identify who last left the shafts rigged and speak directly (about rope age etc) before committing to using them.

Maybe they'll see this topic and respond. (Can anybody help?)

The anchors and ropes are being replaced in the Pilkingtons series, the first few pitches have ready been done! New rope, new resin hangers and stainless maillions, the "P" bolts have been tested to British standards.
The rigging is being replaced to enable the team to work on stabilising the bolder choke at Chain pitch, if other people wish to use the working groups rigging it's at your own risk!!!!!!!!!

PS most of the old rigging is bloody dangerous and should not be used! Hence its replacement! Any contributions/ donations or help would be much appreciated!!!!!!

Tangent_tracker

aquamole jim said:
PS most of the old rigging is bloody dangerous and should not be used! Hence its replacement! Any contributions/ donations or help would be much appreciated!!!!!!

I would really like to offer my help if required, would like to show my appreciation for the hard work that goes in to maintaining Peak and other systems, and to get some experience, meet new faces and see new places at the same time :)

Even if I am just carrying the odd bit of gear etc :)

Olly King.

pwhole

Jim

You know you can always count on me to help, if I'm available. Work away is crippling my weekday time at the moment, but weekends are always possible with advance notice.

Phil.