Penwyllt - new book

Peter Burgess

I have just finished a book about the industries, landscape and community of Penwyllt. Although now home to three caving clubs, South Wales CC, Swindon SS, and Wealden CMS, Penwyllt also has a fascinating past. Around the village can be found the evidence of early tramroads, lime-burning, brick-making, and the Neath and Brecon Railway as well as the physical infrastructure of the close-knit former working community. The book describes these various facets of Penwyllt, as well as an overview of the geology, landscape and caves. I have spent the better part of two years investigating the area on the ground and collating a great deal of valuable knowledge from others. Whilst the book is not specifically targetted at cavers or mine-explorers, there is clearly much in the area to interest anyone who visits the location, and the book includes three field walks which guide you around what can still be seen in this fascinating and beautiful area. The book is A5 paperback, 138 pages with plenty of illustrations both current and historical. The first print batch was ordered today, and should arrive some time next week. If you would like further details such as price and how to obtain a copy, or have any other questions, please PM me. Thank you.

Peter Burgess

OG. - ?7.50 plus ?1.50 postage etc.

Tony - I'll unblock PMs if it means I can extract spondulicks from you. Or if Mike Moore stocks it, you can buy one from him.

moorebooks

I am one of the organisers for next years NAMHO conference but unlikley to have a bookstand as i will be too busy but Tony can have one

I will have copies in stock very soon and  no doubt like Peters previous publications it will be an excellent volume

Mike

Peter Burgess

I shall be up at Penwyllt next weekend, and may have a SMALL stock of books with me if anybody wants to catch me and part with some money. I shall be staying at The Stump, but will no doubt be over at SWCC from time to time. PM me by the end of Thursday if you want to meet up.

rhychydwr1

Peter Burgess said:
Play the fool, Tony, and I might be incline to refuse a sale, joke or no joke.  :tease:

Hi Peter, just got my copy.  Smaller than I expected.  I can now knock them out at ?1.99 post free.

rhychydwr1

moorebooks said:
In which case send me 10

Mike :D

No problem.  I expect you will want a trade discount.  Is a third off, post free OK?

Anybody who paid the pre-publication price of ?2.50, I will be pleased to refund 51p.

Peter Burgess

Anyone who lives within striking distance of Croydon is welcome to attend a talk I have been invited to give on Penwyllt. The illustrated talk is to the GEOLOGY and INDUSTRIAL STUDIES Sections of the Croydon Natural History and Scientific Society, entitled ?Penwyllt in the Brecon Beacons.? The talk will cover the tramways, lime-burning, refractory brick making, limestone caves, the Neath and Brecon Railway, and the community of workers that lived there.

Non-CNHSS members always welcome. Free admission. Donations to CNHSS Welcome!

Venue: East Croydon United Reformed Church, Addiscombe Grove, Croydon

Time: 19:30 for a 19:45 start on Wednesday 09-Feb-2011

Addiscombe Grove is a few minutes walk from East Croydon station, and runs south from the "Threepenny Bit" tower that dominates that part of town.

PM me if you want more information.