Wanted - Triad Hangers

Huge

'Triad Hangers' - well that's one way of dealing with orangised crime.  ;)

Seriously, haven't seen any for years. Are they still being made? If not then any you can get hold of may be very old.

Pete K

I can't find any pictures online and I do not own any myself.
The triad hanger is out of production as far as I know. They do come up second hand from time to time but would be old.
If you are after a hanger for krab-less rigging then this is a good alternative:
http://www.starlessriver.com/shop/rigging_and_bolting/amarrage_souple
They can be used in shear and direct pull as the triads could.
I would say that they are only for experienced riggers and are not for everyday use due to their weakness when shockloaded. I get on well with mine and carry a few around my neck for dealing with the occasional odd pitch or unexpected spit. I've had to get mine from France, it is nice to see them in a UK retailer.

global_s

How do you use them for krabless rigging Pete? Do you run the rope straight through the dyneema?  :eek:

SamT

Well, you larks foot the dyneema to a bight (fig 8, alpine butterfly etc)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

global_s

SamT said:
Well, you larks foot the dyneema to a bight (fig 8, alpine butterfly etc)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Jesus. How does that work if it ends up shock loaded?

Pete K

global_s said:
They don't, it'll fail and you'll poo a bit. Hence the caveat - "only for experienced riggers". They are designed to be used in the extreme end of weight saving rigging where 8mm and alloy maillons rule. Rigging needs to be exemplary and include a selection of shock absorbing knots to limit the risk if bolts do pop. Have you wondered why I do everything with bowline-on-the-bights?

As Sam T says, they can either be larksfooted to a bight of rope or my personal favourite to scare people - tied with a sheet bend (like bowline).
You remember you were hanging off one 20m+ off the floor in Eldon 2 days ago?

bscreen said:
Do you mean what i call 'clown' hangers?
The triads are a far smaller version of the clown hanger, allowing similar rope mounting and directions of pull. Think triangular piece of metal with a bolt hole in one raised corner and a slot to take a rope bight along the opposite long side. Rope is passed through the slot and hooked over the bolt's shaft which causes it to be trapped when tightened.

global_s

Pete K said:
global_s said:
They don't, it'll fail and you'll poo a bit. Hence the caveat - "only for experienced riggers". They are designed to be used in the extreme end of weight saving rigging where 8mm and alloy maillons rule. Rigging needs to be exemplary and include a selection of shock absorbing knots to limit the risk if bolts do pop. Have you wondered why I do everything with bowline-on-the-bights?

As Sam T says, they can either be larksfooted to a bight of rope or my personal favourite to scare people - tied with a sheet bend (like bowline).
You remember you were hanging off one 20m+ off the floor in Eldon 2 days ago?

Shock absorbing knots make sense, but even in that situation, if the spit fails, doesn't the rope pull through the dyneema cord?

I hand't actually noticed you'd done that, I just assumed there was a krab clipped to it. :-[

Pete K

The dyneema cord is attached to the rigging rope within a loop (i.e. fig 8). The knots used to join the cord to the rope are captive themselves, they are not reliant on friction. You know how slippy dyneema is, prussic knots would be lethal. The dyneema can be larks footed to a loop of rigging rope or joined with a sheet bend, both are captive knots and do not rely on friction for their function, they tighten more as load increases.
Does that make sense?

langcliffe

Clowns were good hangers, but even better were the bollards, which were even lighter in weight and had a far lower profile. Petzl ring hangers could also be used without a maillon, either by larks-footing (which I didn't like), or by pre-threading the rope through the ring and tying a figure of eight in the normal fashion.

For those who are not familiar with them, bollards have been used on the fixed rope down to New Stream Passage in Goyden. I still have a couple of dozen.

Stu

global_s said:
As a climber this would make my heart slowly grind to a halt in terror!

Not sure why it would. Joining two cords together... it's called a knot  ;)

global_s

Pete K said:
The dyneema cord is attached to the rigging rope within a loop (i.e. fig 8). The knots used to join the cord to the rope are captive themselves, they are not reliant on friction. You know how slippy dyneema is, prussic knots would be lethal. The dyneema can be larks footed to a loop of rigging rope or joined with a sheet bend, both are captive knots and do not rely on friction for their function, they tighten more as load increases.
Does that make sense?

It does thank you. :)

global_s

stu said:
global_s said:
As a climber this would make my heart slowly grind to a halt in terror!

Not sure why it would. Joining two cords together... it's called a knot  ;)

There are knotts I wouldn't like to shock load either...anyway I was picturing something else, cleared up know.