cheap secondhand helmets wanted

stealth

can anyone tell me where i could possibly acquire 8 proper caving helmets really cheap. as i have very limited funds  at the mo me and my gang are using heavily modified builders helmets, which are ok for the caves we are doing at the moment but as we are getting more experienced we will want better equipment. any advice or offers would be most grateful for  cheers 

Tony

E

emgee

stealth said:
can anyone tell me where i could possibly acquire 8 proper caving helmets really cheap. as i have very limited funds  at the mo me and my gang are using heavily modified builders helmets, which are ok for the caves we are doing at the moment but as we are getting more experienced we will want better equipment. any advice or offers would be most grateful for  cheers 

Tony

Get new ones. They're not that expensive and the head you save is the only one you've got. With second hand ones you have no idea of they're history or quite likely age. I'd imagine in times like these you could haggle the price down quite a bit for eight bought in one batch from your local/favoured caving shop.

stealth

thanks for comment emgee, i agree with what you are saying, money is very scarce at the moment. Ill give haggling a go see if i can get anywhere.

stealth

thanks francis  will have a look on there in a mo  (y)

did think about this option earlier, but just didnt get round to it

cap n chris

Ebay - you have no way of knowing the history of the helmet other than to trust your instincts/the vendor.

Cheap helmets - how cheap is cheap? Ok, so you might get a deal if you're buying eight helmets but even a Protex or Elios is going to retail around £30 WITH a discount x 8 = £240. An outdoor centre may get rid of helmets because they are deemed to have outlasted their welcome but they're going to have had sheds loads of use and smell like a badger's arse (see separate threads on this topic).

Why do YOU have to stump up for all 8 helmets? - can't you set it as a test and get everyone to save up/work/sell something to raise their own funds for their own helmet(s)?

EVEN ASSUMING you find someone who can get you a really good deal on helmets, then what?..... are you going to be looking for 8 lights? ... and who is going to have to pay for them?

Eight sets of kit comprised of "proper" caving gear is going to cost a mint.

Good luck in your quest, Stealth.

stealth

Why do YOU have to stump up for all 8 helmets? - can't you set it as a test and get everyone to save up/work/sell something to raise their own funds for their own helmet(s)?

my kids capn , but then again i see youre logic, they might respect equipment more if they have to work for it  (y)

i want to do cave s like swildons instead of just the burrington ones but it seems i need more substantial kit, is it possible to do swildons in boilersuits and modded builders helmets  tell me what you think, your advice  is appreciated.

cap n chris

It's possible to go caving naked, wearing flip flops, high on drugs and illuminating your way using a candle. But that's club caving.

You'll probably want to go around the dry(er) bits during these cold winter months and as long as you have a change of clothes and turn back when people complain about feeling the cold (which they will!) and you don't go during a flood/high water, the kit you've got will be sufficient (and probably better than some of the other stuff which people are frequently seen wearing on their trips into Swildon's Hole). It is an easy cave to get lost in, especially near the entrance. You may wish to team up with someone else who knows the cave who can show you around a bit at first so you get your bearings.

graham

Chris put it somewhat more - interestingly - but he's right. Provided that you understand the limitations of your equipment just as well as you understand the limitations of your team, you can go a lot of places.

Rachel

Is there not anywhere to hire helmets and lights near where you want to cave?

If not, think of it as a business opportunity....

Les W

Hi Stealth,

My first caving trips were in Burrington but when I moved up to the bigger wetter systems (Swildons first) I was still caving in a boiler suit, old clothes, home made lamp and a builders helmet. It didn't kill me, but I certainly appreciate modern clothing and reliable lighting.  ;)

You will feel the cold if you get wet in the stream and I would suggest that you save any wettings till the end of the trip. This will mean that your group can experience the more exciting aspects of caving in a wet system, but without too much discomfort.
There is a route I regularly use in the upper parts of Swildons which starts easy, gets progressively more difficult and finally ends with a wetting. The route is somewhat contrived and takes in most of the upper cave, but allows bypassing any parts which prove too much of an obstacle for anybody.
As an added bonus the route repeats very little passage way and is never more than 10 - 15 minutes easy caving to the entrance.

If you want a guide on a Swildons trip I would be happy to help, just pm me.

Les Williams

paulf

YOU HAVE SEVEN KIDS ? :eek: How do you have the energy to Cave ? I go Caving to get away from mine or at least two behind  (y)

stealth

paulf said:
YOU HAVE SEVEN KIDS ? :eek: How do you have the energy to Cave ? I go Caving to get away from mine or at least two behind  (y)

NO  :eek:  I only have five kids of my own  then there is me , and ditzy  and occasionally anyone else my kids decide they want to come as well thats why 8 helmets etc.  all i need is to get a bit more experience  and ill be able to start up my own club lol  :LOL:

Hughie

IMHO I don't see anything wrong with modded builders helmets (should have a Y strap though). Presumably they should protect you from a falling brick size object, anything bigger will do pretty serious damage that quite likely a pukka caving lid wouldn't save you from anyway. Save your dosh and buy some decent lights.

Wouldn't buy secondhand for the very good reasons mentioned above.

A

andymorgan

A friend of a friend apparently surprised a group of scouts by emerging from the Drainpipe in Goatchurch wearing a fez and a leather coat. I imagine builders helmets are slightly better for caving than a fez, but less cool 8)

Peter Burgess

andymorgan said:
A friend of a friend apparently surprised a group of scouts by emerging from the Drainpipe in Goatchurch wearing a fez and a leather coat. I imagine builders helmets are slightly better for caving than a fez, but less cool 8)

Classic!!

"Just like that !"

stealth

yep worked out the ins and outs of things once,  then like a scientist ,had to confirm it another 4 times to make sure it worked and wasnt a fluke :LOL: