Cheap Daren Drums ???

Rob

Having just accidentally let my soldering iron melt right through my current 6.4 litre Daren Drum i'm looking for a replacement!  o_O

However, while wandering around my uni department i'm sure that I have seen them used for chemical storage, which means that they must be available outside of expensive outdoors shops, probably just without the "VAUDE" sticker on! A quick search on google led me nowhere, hence this post. Any ideas anyone?

W

wormster

£12.00 from hitch 'n hike you cheapskate:

http://w01-0504.web.dircon.net/w01-0504/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fw01%2d0504%2eweb%2edircon%2enet%2facatalog%2fsearch%2ehtml&WD=drum%20darren&PN=Main_Menu_Darren_749%2ehtml%23a137_2d064_2dDAREN#a137_2d064_2dDAREN

sorry 'bout the long url.

Rob

They must cost ~£1 to make, it just seems a bit wrong to spend £12! Especially if they are available for cheaper.

SamT

sure this has been discussed on here before - try using the search - general jist was yes - they are available a *bit* cheaper from chemical supplies places.

damian

I know GCRG bought a batch recently, some of which were being flogged on to anyone who wanted them.

I also know a friend (who does a lot of Daren digging and, therefore, uses quite a few drums) who used to buy them in batches of 10 or 20 from a suppiler in S. Wales ... but I can't remember who unfortunately. I can easily find out though .. but by the time you've collected them from S. Wales and messed about disposing of the other 19, you might as well buy one from HnH surely!?

Cave_Troll

my stock (and the SUSS expedition 1st aid kits) used to contain Agar.
you might want to hang around the biology department.

biffa

Working where I do (Sheffield Uni Clean Room facility = lots of nasty chemicals) and I still haven't seen any.  Slightly cheaper in Decathlon
http://decathlon.co.uk/EN/Product_arborescence/mountain/climbing-sports/canyoning-cavin/watertight-cany/index.html

A

AMW

The Decathlon ones are good I picked one up in Besancon recently .

Andrew.

G

Gordy

the guy i go caving with has one, but its made by someone different- and i am racking my brains to remember who. they have a lifetime garentee and they will replace without questions- to test this he ran his 10 yr old one over with a land rover, that did nothing, so he took a knife to it, sent it back and then got a new one in the post!

HenryB

http://www.keyonline.co.uk/ search for "wide neck kegs" £7.70 ex VAT

Free delivery for orders over £100 (ex VAT) and to the UK Mainland destinations. Orders under £100 from unlogged customers will incur a £5.95 administration charge.

SamT

and you can use them to as makeshift bongos

img20070206154126_22618.jpg

A

Agrophobic

Try plastimo storage bottles, check the plastimo site then buy here- theyachtshop.co.uk
They're a good bit cheaper than anywhere else i've found.

Dropper

Recently a fancy deli opened in our village. by chance I noticed that their expensive olives are delivered in 5ltr containers with screw lids! I asked what they do with the empties to be told 'we just chuck em out'
I now have a load in my shed!
as stated they are 5ltr, slightly smaller diameter than a Daren drum but fit really nicely in my small dragon bag.
If you want some they can be exchanged for digging sessions at the Dropper or Cross joints.

underground

Dropper said:
Recently a fancy deli opened in our village. by chance I noticed that their expensive olives are delivered in 5ltr containers with screw lids! I asked what they do with the empties to be told 'we just chuck em out'
I now have a load in my shed!
as stated they are 5ltr, slightly smaller diameter than a Daren drum but fit really nicely in my small dragon bag.
If you want some they can be exchanged for digging sessions at the Dropper or Cross joints.

Oddly, a dogg at work is a powerlifting type, and gorges himself on cheap chicken and beef, supplemented by a big milkshake of 'beefcake protein shake' or summat similar- and likewise, i get the 5l drums off him. they are much less tsiff than a proper curver drum though, and would get crush laterally if any pressure was put upon. Dunno how thi'd affect the seal of the lid, I'll give it a go. The one I have to hand has a load of 'beefcake' still in it so I'll eat all that first and get proper ripped