Tearsall Pipe Cavern/Mine

Madness

Anybody got a electronic copy of a survey?

I've had a look online and couldn't find much info at all about Tearsall

Cheers in advance

yrammy

Any help? This is from Caves and Caving number 68.
British Caving Library.

Attachments

• tearsall.pdf
    469.3 KB · Views: 251

Madness

Thank you yrammy.

Just the sort of thing I'm after.

If anyone has anything different please post on here if you can.

My article in PDMHS bull vol 5 no 6 is available online at
https://pdmhs.co.uk/MiningHistory/Bulletin%205-6%20-%20A%20Survey%20of%20a%20Mine%20in%20Tearsall%20Rough,%20Wensley.pdf

mch

I seem to recall that Dave Webb made a video of the exploration of Tearsall Pipe Caverns. Don't know whether this was commercially available - maybe one of my Masson colleagues will know?

Madness

Thanks Historytrog, but doesn't your article relate to a different area of workings to those known as Tearsall Pipe Cavern?

owd git

mch said:
I seem to recall that Dave Webb made a video of the exploration of Tearsall Pipe Caverns. Don't know whether this was commercially available - maybe one of my Masson colleagues will know?

i have a copy of the breakthrough between 1 and 2 ,  p.m. after w/end if interested (y) Ric'.

Madness

We were down Tearsall the other night via Pool shaft and we noticed that some of the ginging is very unstable. If you go down Pool shaft be very careful as a least one lump of ginging looked like it could fall at any time. This was about 8 or 10 feet down so there's plenty of ginging above it that could potentially follow it.

markpot

It was a little bit unstable last time i went down,it was only a small area bout 6m down,rest of it didnt look to bad,maybe something is on the move.How bad was is mad?

Madness

There's a chunk that will fall if touched. Whether that will cause more above it to give way is any ones guess.

I'd consider it safe enough as long as you're not clumsy with your feet and you don't stand around at the bottom of the shaft. You also need to keep your rope clear of anything suspect.

Long term, I'd say it will need some remedial work.