pitch head collapse 12th March

JB

Heard on the grapevine that there was an accident in a Yorkshire cave yesterday caused by a pitch head collapsing. Don't know any more than that. Hope the cavers involved are OK. Anyone know where it happened?

G

George North

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/4344713.stm

SamT

Youch.

Would be interesting to find out how and why the anchor failed. Loose rock presumably.

Also - what was the srt set up that caused a 6 foot fall - Im guessing at a single point rebelay failing resulting in the slack being taken up.

Im sure we'll find out soon.

So who from sheffield was it - who are YSS.

D

darkplaces

CRO updated the incident report on the webpage quick. http://www.cro.org.uk/2005.html

They are a busy lot. Maybe we should ban caving as its far too dangerous... :twisted: Seriously - "Secondary rope kicked in" got to love backup systems. Top lot them CRO's and MRO's.
"He was given morphine but it was absolutely tortuous for him."
Ouch. :( Thats not good.

G

George North

The YSS are the Yorkshire Subterranean Society. They have a club hut (with lots of rules) next to the Helwith Bridge Pub, in Ribblesdale.

Don't know anything about the accident I'm afraid.

dunc

Can't have been good to be rescued from being so far down, ouch indeed :(

CRO updated the incident report on the webpage quick.
Certainly did, I looked this afternoon and it wasn't updated!

SamT said:
Would be interesting to find out how and why the anchor failed. Loose rock presumably. Also - what was the srt set up that caused a 6 foot fall - Im guessing at a single point rebelay failing resulting in the slack being taken up.
Possibly loose rock..? 6ft seems a lot... To be honest I would have classed Roaring as a ladder only trip owing to the limited number of pitches of minimal size in it, seems pointless rigging for srt (can't actually recall it having suitbale spits for srt?)
But, all speculation - I'm sure full details will emerge in due course..

Darkplaces said:
Maybe we should ban caving as its far too dangerous
Absoloutely, whilst we're at it we can ban farmers and other individuals from owning daft animals that wander into holes and onto crags and we should ban walkers from venturing on the fells and we can stop the Ingleton waterfalls walk from operating due to the number of call outs a year they get to that place! :LOL:

Stu

SamT said:
Youch.

Would be interesting to find out how and why the anchor failed. Loose rock presumably.

Also - what was the srt set up that caused a 6 foot fall - Im guessing at a single point rebelay failing resulting in the slack being taken up.

Im sure we'll find out soon.

So who from sheffield was it - who are YSS.

It was a single point natural that failed and the six feet fall is only my guess, things as you can imagine got a bit confusing.

This is a copy of the post sent to YSS egroup. It's here because there will be no doubt debate, recrimination, accusation, support etc. Better from the horse's mouth.

stu, feeling sheepish, leg in plaster, Sheffield.

p.s. don't know where the back up rope bit came from.

Well, I'm sat here thinking what to write and contemplating not being on my feet for the next two months. James's very succinct and accurate report leaves out only my name and I thank you for the courtesy James, I have an awful lot of people to thank. Most of the cavers and those on the committe will know me, Stuart from Sheffield and it was I who suffered the indignity of having to be close to Stu Weston for two hours ;-)! Sorry, I meant to say break my right Tibia.

James's account is spot on in detail (more so than the BBC... glad there was no second rope or it would have been my head that took the blow). Myself and Paul T had got through a very narrow section of passage soon to be followed by Stu W. John H, Neil and James B were just making their way through. I ab'ed down a short 6m pitch and came to a natural rebelay with a further 4 or 5 metres to the chamber floor. About 2 metres from the floor the small boulder detached from the wall and deposited me on a heap on bottom. The rock soon made it's present felt!
The pain was instant and it only took a moment for me to realise that this was going to be a bit of a problem. Paul T got to me first and quickly realise that my new found passion for swearing had little to do with Tourretes Syndrome. Stuart W arrived within a minute or so. I think John H (no offence if this is wrong) was relayed the information and Neil, James B and John kicked the arse out of it and got a call to CRO in super quick time. Cheers guys.
The next two hours passed very slowly whilst boots and clothing were cut; first aid administered and warmth (well, less warm more not freezing. In this we all suffered) was tried to be generated.
The CRO arrived, with the major difficulties being trying to get numbers through the chokes and small passageways. A group of six or seven guys and girls including Paul T and Stu W then set about helping me out.
I will be forever indebted to the people who for the next four and a half hours joked, spurred on, took the piss, took photos (hope you got my good side Paul!) and generally helped me keep my arse in gear and my head together. Thank you all.
The only positive from this little period is that I think (hope) I will be classed as a "self help with assistance" not from choice but no useful strecther could be gotten to me.
Once out I was placed into the pile cas bag waiting for the helicopter. The crew probably won't read this but thanks to you too. Lancaster RI awaited me where a clean break on the right Tib was diagnosed. I've seen the X ray and it could have been a lot worse. Paul and Stu must take credit for this as there first aid did exactly what it should have done, stopped the injury from worsening. Everyone at the hospital and CRO were impressed.
This unfortunately sounds ungrateful, but I don't like hospitals and so I got myself a discharge with the medical staffs permission at 2.30pm Sunday 13th March just over twenty four hours after the the incident took place.
Roll of Honour:
CRO
Lancaster RI staff
RAF helicopter crew
YSS for the wonderful support to Deborah (my girlfriend)
and especially John H, Neil & James who made like rockets not knowing what was left behind (always hard).
I want to resevre special praise to to guys whose place I wouldn't have envied:
Paul T, you're jokes are crap but you're a solid first aider.
Stu, second only to Debs in the comfort stakes.
Feel free to comment, take the piss, ask questions, criticise. It was an accident and I'm safe and well.

Stu

Cumbrian Neil said:
Aren't there easier and less painful ways to get a ride in a helicopter?? I hope your recovery is swift!!

:LOL:

CN.

The worst prognosis so far is six to eight weeks then I may be able to put some weight on it! Then physio. At this point if the magic cave fairy were to say "go through a four and a half crawl/climb with a bust leg and when you get out you'll be cured" I'd opt for it.

Only been home a day and my girlfriend deserves a medal!

:D

I need to name my crutches... any thoughts!?

cap n chris

Sorry to hear of this; if time off is inevitable why not write your memoirs? (I know you're young but, hey!).

Stu

cap 'n chris said:
Sorry to hear of this; if time off is inevitable why not write your memoirs? (I know you're young but, hey!).

Because my girlfriend would get to see them and she'd bin me!!! :twisted:

cap n chris

Why would she bin you? - you haven't been lying about your prowess underground, I trust! Stick to the dark stuff and avoid the pink bits and perhaps it'll be AOK.

Stu

There's a joke in there somewhere regards the dark stuff but let's not offend!!

Cheers all for the good thoughts.

Just to clear something up about "the fall". It may or may not have been 2 metres. The anchor failed (should have checked it myself) and I hit the ground backwards. CRO were concerned that the leg pain may mask back/neck injuries. They asked me for a rough guess and as no one else witnessed the incident my info had to do. Thinking about it it will have been less but once it was ascertained that the fall itself had not caused any injury the height aspect became irrelevant. Does that make sense?

paul

stu said:
Just to clear something up about "the fall". It may or may not have been 2 metres. The anchor failed (should have checked it myself) and I hit the ground backwards. CRO were concerned that the leg pain may mask back/neck injuries. They asked me for a rough guess and as no one else witnessed the incident my info had to do. Thinking about it it will have been less but once it was ascertained that the fall itself had not caused any injury the height aspect became irrelevant. Does that make sense?

In other words, you fell near the bottom off the pitch and would have been OK if the boulder had not then dropped on top of you!

The reason for the CRO's concern is probably that any fall from 2 metres and above is treated as possibly life-threatening, according to a caving paramedic I know.

Get better soon!

SamT

Good effort to everyone involved in the rescue (oh and you too stu). Sounds rather painful.

Hope you have a speedy recovery

I was just reading about joe brown at the weekend and he was climbing in the alps 2 weeks after having his pot off. And that was before physio was invented.
:injured:

T

tiggs

Hope you feel better soon Stu :injured: Sorry to hear about your mate