Account removal

Chunks

Please could someone with the relevant powers remove all my posts, profile and any such details related to it. Thanks for your anticipated cooperation.

cap n chris

This has cropped up before with other contributors and I've cut and pasted an earlier response which may have relevance:

We can delete the account but all former posts default to being posted by "guest".  This is ok if only one or two users do it, but it makes old conversations unreadable if there's more than one such user in a given topic.

We don't like to delete posts (unless it's something somebody quickly regrets and specifically asks us to soon after they've posted) because once they've been replied to or are buried in a long topic it has the potential to render that topic meaningless. This really isn't fair on the forum as a whole - if you signed up and posted stuff in public for all to see, it's a bit lame to expect it all to be wiped at some point in the future when you may regret what you've posted in the past. 

bograt

Chunks said:
I've posted nothing worthwhile in the 40 posts I've made (well, 41 now). I don't mind being lame.

Maybe it would be more constructive if you told us why you've fallen out with us?, I'm sure constructive criticism would be taken on-board. (Where is  the 'hopeful' emoticon??)

--I Agree with the "Cap'n" about rendering previous threads meaningless, I note you have only been with us about 3 months.

I also get the impression, from a quick scan through your posts, that you are an active and experienced Northern Caver with a personal prospective on organised caving (Politics) I would certainly appreciate more of your input, would you really like the younger caving world to be deprived of this experience?. ( A question I was asked 20 years ago by another poster here, and persuaded me to continue being active!)

'Backing out by the experienced is not the way forwards!', Listening by the upcomers is.

Burt

maybe chunks has had another internet account hacked and is trying to cut all leads to any other stuff (emails, bank etc?????)

Chunks

OK bograt, I'll try and provide 'some' details.

There's a number of 'people' on here that I'm not keen on how they reply. I don't want to get involved (I've bit my tongue so to speak a fair few times already), I'm not the kind of person to sit back, read and walk away, I'm most likely to respond, I can't be arsed/have no time to be getting involved. If I don't have an account then I can't be tempted.
I've lurked a while previous to joining and I find it disappointing that people are suddenly so keen to post when they think they've a chance of winning something. No offence to the new owners, interesting idea, I just find it sad people will only post a report or information if they think there's something in it for them.

I don't want to leave footprints behind (anonymous or not, cavermark), hence my request to remove my largely uninformative and pointless posts.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable. Maybe given time the forum will evolve, maybe I might rejoin in the future. At this present moment in time I just don't think this forum is the place for me.

And for note, this will be post 42, I'm sure there's some significance to this number somewhere, anyway, the longer this drags on the more posts I make...

Blimey, just as I try to reply another reply.. Burt, interesting theory, not the case though, I'd be mortified if that ever happened to me, being quite security concious.

droid

Simple answer: remove UKC from your favourites, stop notifications (if you have any).

Trouble with forums is that the written word is not a good conveyer of nuance, and a statement that appears rather rude might well be made tongue in cheek....

bograt

Chunks said:

There's a number of 'people' on here that I'm not keen on how they reply. I don't want to get involved (I've bit my tongue so to speak a fair few times already), I'm not the kind of person to sit back, read and walk away, I'm most likely to respond, I can't be arsed/have no time to be getting involved. If I don't have an account then I can't be tempted.
I've lurked a while previous to joining and I find it disappointing that people are suddenly so keen to post when they think they've a chance of winning something. No offence to the new owners, interesting idea, I just find it sad people will only post a report or information if they think there's something in it for them.

I don't want to leave footprints behind (anonymous or not, cavermark), hence my request to remove my largely uninformative and pointless posts.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable. Maybe given time the forum will evolve, maybe I might rejoin in the future. At this present moment in time I just don't think this forum is the place for me.

And for note, this will be post 42, I'm sure there's some significance to this number somewhere, anyway, the longer this drags on the more posts I make...

Blimey, just as I try to reply another reply.. Burt, interesting theory, not the case though, I'd be mortified if that ever happened to me, being quite security concious.

OK Chunks, I appreciate that, and agree that if that is your reason, withdraw!, but I will also maintain that your experience and input is very valuable, do you really want to deprive the caving world of it ?, I've been here for a while, and I think my experience counts for something.

Just remember, these upcomers are only transient (maybe 'ephemeral' would be a better word), the caves will always be there.

I've always maintained that the caves are my priority.

cap n chris

bograt said:
I've been here for a while, and I think my experience counts for something.

Fully agree. While it may be true that contributors to a thread might find their efforts overlooked, I'm sure the opposite is actually the case and that a large number of people benefit from the cut-and-thrust/reasoning/debate/conclusions.

Alex

I thought you were going to do this last year? But please don't leave D...... I mean Chuncks we have yet to have a proper slanging match on here, though there are other locations ;)

There is some useful stuff on here, but I agree it kind-of seems sad that prizes are needed for people to post stuff, I guess though they are hoping to start a trend and people won't need prizes, or we could have best post of a category per year.

cap n chris

Alex said:
it kind-of seems sad that prizes are needed for people to post stuff, I guess though they are hoping to start a trend and people won't need prizes, or we could have best post of a category per year.

People who only post because they might win a prize are still very very welcome; people who post even though there may not appear to be a prize on offer are even more welcome.... and who said there weren't annual awards?

menacer

Chunks said:

There is a great forum feature called ignore.
You can select the people with whom you are not keen on how they reply.
Its under profile, account setttings , modify profile , buddoes/ignore lists.

It would seem as I get older im suffering the same problem you highlight above.
Consider this as an option, give it a go.
Its worked for me.

( although it only works directly on a thread, if you view ukc via last posts read it doesnt always work :(    )

Chunks

menacer said:
There is a great forum feature called ignore.
You can select the people with whom you are not keen on how they reply.
Its under profile, account setttings , modify profile , buddoes/ignore lists.

It would seem as I get older im suffering the same problem you highlight above.
Consider this as an option, give it a go.
Its worked for me.

( although it only works directly on a thread, if you view ukc via last posts read it doesnt always work :(    )
Does it remove the particular post all together or does it make reference to a post having been made by 'someone' that is ignored? I'd possibly find it strange, maybe you need to get used to it, I was vaguely aware of it but not knowing how it worked I never really considered it an option.

Peter Burgess

Instead of seeing the post, it says "You are ignoring this user" then you get the option to click to see what they posted. You need a steely determination not to click and reveal.  :LOL:

bograt

Peter Burgess said:
You see, Mungazer couldn't resist clicking "Show me the post". I thought she was made of stronger stuff.

WTF are you on about Peter B ??, can't see any reference to 'Mungazer' on this thread.