Accessing the UKC boards on a mobile device

complex

Whenever I try to access the UKCaving boards from my mobile phone, I get the following error:

"The page you are trying to access is restricted due to a security rule.

If you believe the security rule is affecting the normal operation of your website, contact your host support team and provide detailed instructions how to recreate this error.
They will be able to assist you with rectifying the problem and adjusting the security configuration if needed."

I use tapatalk it's really good. Worth installing supports multiple forums ;)

Posted on the move via Tapatalk.

I also get that error on chrome for android. 

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Will try to look into this problem - well will ask the IT guys to, all mumbo jumbo to me  :confused:

Leclused

I also get this error from time to time on my old iphone 4 and ipad.

I think it has to do with the redirect from ukcaving.com towards ukcaving.com/board

Can you try  to go directly to the forum with ukcaving.com/board. Do you still have the problem then?

peterk

I've had intermittent "The page you are trying to access is restricted due to a security rule." error messages from Chrome under Android. I think its an issue that is related to Chrome having a cached ukcaving page when the device last "slept" and on reopening ukcaving Chrome attempts to reopen "unread topics" without recognising that the session on the server has closed and doesn't send a login request - Trying to access the user specific unread posts without a user login.
I only got the error under Android 5 but equally it could be related to specific Chrome releases - I'm now running the beta Android M and Chrome beta and haven't seen the error for some time and after the error simply reloading the page restored normal operation

With the default webbrowser on android ukcaving.com redirects to;

http://ukcaving.com/board/mobiquo/mobiquo.php?welcome=1&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fukcaving.com%2Fboard%2F&board_url=http%3A%2F%2Fukcaving.com%2Fboard&code=215cd488ac9bc63844fad7e7cb2c0459&name=ukCaving.com&deeplink=ukcaving.com%2Fboard%2F%3Flocation%3Dindex

I'll hazard a guess based on how my own website works. This could be a problem with how the tapatalk popup kicks in when you visit the site with a mobile browser.

Hope this helps.

Posted on the move via Tapatalk.

Q

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all

Thanks for pointing this out.

As Leclused said, this is to do with the redirect in place from ukcaving.com to ukcaving.com/board. We'll take a look at it and get a fix in place.

Many thanks
James

graham

SamT said:
Why on earth would anyone not use tapatalk app ?  :confused:

'cos they prefer the browser layout to the app one? 'cos apps stay running when you navigate away from them & eat your battery?

Inferus

What Graham said plus I see no point having yet another app on my phone for the sake of occasionally viewing one forum.
Does tapatalk still bung adverts in too?

complex

A google search for "tapatalk privacy issues" returns 1.5 million hits (and a search for "tapatalk security issues" also throws up quite a few hits).

Why on earth would anyone want to use the tapatalk app?

Bottlebank

I find it almost impossible to stay on top of threads or navigate the forum using Tapatalk. Far easier on a big screen (as are most things).

Rhys

I find Tapatalk perfectly reasonable for navigating and reading the forum. All the text required automatically appears at a decent size. No unecessary scrolling or scaling. It doesn't kill my battery as it seems to shut down if inactive for a period. Alternatively, shutting down apps manually is trivial.

I don't tend to post replies as long as this one without reverting to a proper computer though 'cos typing on the phone is annoying....

Horses for courses.

Rhys

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Bottlebank

I've just had another look at it. Has it changed a lot recently?

Instead of just a few weird icons I'm getting actual headings I can understand, such as "Unread". UK Caving always came up twice, now it's only there once. Looks a lot better?

Any idea what do they mean by "Subscribed"?

EDB4YLI55

Its to do with your mobile device requesting a mobile version for the site and the redirection not being set for a mobile device to direct to the desktop version. You can manually request a desktop version on Andriod/IOS, not sure about Win8/10 phones.

EDB4YLI55

two simples fixes, manually request desktop site, that will redirect you from ukcaving.com to ukcaving.com/board or you can specifically request the /board page both resolve the issue and are simple fixes.

Rhys

Bottlebank said:
I've just had another look at it. Has it changed a lot recently?

Instead of just a few weird icons I'm getting actual headings I can understand, such as "Unread". UK Caving always came up twice, now it's only there once. Looks a lot better?

Any idea what do they mean by "Subscribed"?

I don't think it's radically changed in the couple of years I've been using it. I can't see "subscribed" on mine anywhere.

Rhys

graham

EDB4YLI55 said:
two simples fixes, manually request desktop site, that will redirect you from ukcaving.com to ukcaving.com/board or you can specifically request the /board page both resolve the issue and are simple fixes.

Yeah, but if you are requesting the desktop site why not just use a browser? As per usual, XKCD has it nailed.