Limited Access for divers

Status
Not open for further replies.

EwanCameron

Anyone know why Access for diving in some FOD areas have been limited for diving to CDG members only ?

Who has advised land owners ?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prahja

The ex-deputy gaveller is a well-known caver. The land owner wanted BCA insurance. FODCCAG negotiated access.
Dont go diving in the Forest without getting a permit or you'll screw up access for everyone else and, yes, it does get checked - the sites are well know and the forestry do challenge divers about permits.... and then have asked the permit secretary.
Really, please, please, please dont go there without a permit....

EwanCameron

With mine diving qualifications ?

Who has advised land owners ref diving ?

prahja

No, needs BCA diving insurance. As I said the ex-deputy gaveller is a caver so knows quite a bit already and FoDCCAG negotiated the access....

EwanCameron

So if a club other than CDG gets blue cards you will be re arranging Access for all blue card holders ?

prahja

I will not arrange anything ! I'm sure you can speak to landowners / access bodies just as easily as me! I am not a involved with any of the access bodies - I just live in the Forest and am a diver...

But I suspect You will struggle massively to sort out access without CDG membership - just join the CDG! It's far simpler.... it's also far from clear if "another body" will get BCA insurance but I'm not going to get ivolved in that one....

EwanCameron

Sorry will FOD arrange Access if a mine diving club is giving blue cards for diving. After seeing your first post I was in the mind that you had something to do with Access.

I have emailed BCA Access

Should you ever need help and support for Access in the peaks feel free to get in contact.

Always happy to help and support ALL MEMBERS of the caving community to get Access [emoji106]🏻[emoji12]

Thanks
Ewan Cameron
DCA Accsess Officer

prahja

No problem.
You might find it useful to contact the permit secretary at FoDCCAG (google it...)
As I say - you may struggle to arrange access independently....  the landowner has been very accomodating but I suspect would not renegotiate access (personal opinion).
I'd give the permit secretary at fodccag a bell or email them - it'll be the best way to get a definitive answer....
Hope that helps!
I'd still recommend joining the CDG though for so many good reasons (not the place to debate it though I guess !). Also - Noxon is more like a cave than a mine....

EwanCameron

FODCCAG as on their website they say:
"The Forest of Dean Cave Conservation and Access Group (FoDCCAG) arose from a specific need for a local access agreement on behalf of all cavers and a consequent need for a single representative body in the area to liaise with statutory bodies and organisations."

ALL CAVERS ?

single representative body in the area to liaise with statutory bodies?

Just playing devils advocate [emoji106]🏻

Ron
Peaks Mine Diver

EwanCameron

I am quite sadly blessed with a learning disability that affects my spelling.

Will correct ASAP

EwanCameron

Sadly will not let me edit

(Note from Pegasus - spelling corrected as requested  :) )

But happy to discuss further ?

fat pat

So can none CDG members dive in the Forrest of Dean ?  all the talk of permits ,cards ,colours, groups lost me a long while back

Duncan Price

Diving access to Noxon Park is only available with appropriate insurance.  Effectively this means a BCA blue card which is only available to CDG members (lets no go there on that one).  As I understand it, people high up in the access negotiations did not want to allow any diving and initially there was no access for trainee CDG members despite the fact that the mines are an ideal all weather training site.  I managed to get this relaxed to the same level as applies to Wookey Hole - i.e. trainees allowed only under supervision.  Diving thru trips between mines are not permitted for some reason.

Please don't fcuk up access by getting arsey with the access group or beating your chest online.  The CDG is a broad church comprising four parishes.  If you aren't welcomed in one then there are others to choose from.  As a long time member of the Welsh Section of the CDG, the FOD mines are effectively on our patch so they are particularly relevant to me (despite the fact that I don't find mines at all interesting to be in - positively dangerous actually).

Mind how you go or I'll have to come and recover your body.

Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.