Camping gas has been in short supply this week

alastairgott

we?ve had some fun trying to find gas this week. Screw on gas for small stoves has been nigh-on impossible to find in Hathersage, Sheffield, buxton and leek.

We gave up and made the switch, buying a Trangia and cooking on meths. Just thought I?d post this up in case anyone thinks they can go unprepared and ?find? the right gas.

Decathlon Sheffield did have gas, but it was piercing gas instead of screw on.

NewStuff

You can get an adaptor and use weedburner/industrial gas cans from pretty much any tool shop, ironmongers etc.
They come in hose and solid versions.

T pot 2

Trangia will also cook on white spirt, petrol, and kerosene, high alcohol such as mezcal, poteen and the like can be used too 😉
Other high octane, take your pick, try it and if you have eye brows after doing so you have a result 😊

mr goose

If you can get to an Argos, a couple of weeks ago, they were doing a pack of 6 big screw attachment cylinders (Coleman) for ?25 - bargain!

paul

Last Saturday, Outside in Hathersage had lots of 100g and 450g Primus Red Power Gas cartridges (screw-on) but none of the 230g size.

Ed

Fit the Trangia with a Primus Omnifuel - burn anything then.

Just need the adaptor plate for the Nova conversion and another hole cutting

Tseralo

alastairgott said:
We enjoyed the unexpected of learning how to use a trangia, it?s a good little bit of kit.

Just make sure its out before you touch it. Most injuries on DofE are caused by alcohol stoves. Why are still the recommended over an MSR pocket rocket is beyond me.

alastairgott

I went with school and they were pouring meths all over the field and setting it alight! I have no idea how anyone wouldn?t get injured!

paul

The meths flame isn't easy to see in bright light and when it gets low, it's possible to think it's gone out even though it hasn't yet. And then you try to refill it and hold a open container of meths tipped down onto an open flame...

Trangias are bulky and slow to cook when using meths but they have a  cooker, a good windshield, two pots, a frying pan and optionally a kettle, all in one. They are very simple, with no valves, seals or moving parts to go wrong.  Also, when the gas cartridge supply returns to normal, you can get a gas adaptor which fits the the Trangia and have faster cooking times.