Alston Moor / Nenthead guide

Niallridley

Hi all,

Not sure if this is kosher but worth asking...

I?m looking for someone local(ish) to Alston who knows Rampgill and/or Smallcleugh in Nenthead well enough that they?d be able to accompany me. Ideally someone who also has knowledge of the workings and history. Would very much like to explore and learn but want to do it as safely and sensibly as possible. Books and articles aren?t doing it for me anymore!

I have BCA insurance, equipment and some limited experience of being underground in the area.

Any Q?s welcome.

Thanks!

Paul Marvin

Niallridley said:
Hi all,

Not sure if this is kosher but worth asking...

I?m looking for someone local(ish) to Alston who knows Rampgill and/or Smallcleugh in Nenthead well enough that they?d be able to accompany me. Ideally someone who also has knowledge of the workings and history. Would very much like to explore and learn but want to do it as safely and sensibly as possible. Books and articles aren?t doing it for me anymore!

I have BCA insurance, equipment and some limited experience of being underground in the area.

Any Q?s welcome.

Thanks!

Always ask buddy there are a lot of very helpful people around  :halo:

We will be up there next week probably for a couple of trips , not got extensive knowledge of the site but enough to get you going we have done 4 trips there so far, there is a LOT of different trips up there . If you go on our YT channel " Patterdale Dive & Cave you will see a couple of videos to wet your appetite .

Paul  :D

ChrisJC

I would get in touch with these people. Ask if they are running any novice trips.

https://www.nentheadmines.com/

Chris.

tomferry

The great Nenthead traverse definitely am doing that some day when my fitness improves enough for it !

PeteHall

Down and beyond said:
The great Nenthead traverse definitely am doing that some day when my fitness improves enough for it !

Personally, I'd suggest learning all the various through trips first and actually getting to know the place. I expect that you'll enjoy it a lot more when you understand how it all fits together  (y)

tomferry

Sounds a good idea , luckily I no from experience never to walk into these large set ups as it?s easy getting lost I shall definitely have people with local knowledge for this place  (y)