Fancy a 1 km ladder climb?

PeteHall

I think I'd need a few more rests than that!

At least you assume they would be fixed ladders and not swinging about on an electron!

Mr Mike

Just been looking on google maps, lots of metal mines in that area - seem to be all working the same vein. Great that there is a mining industry still there.

RobinGriffiths

Mr Mike said:
Just been looking on google maps, lots of metal mines in that area - seem to be all working the same vein. Great that there is a mining industry still there.

The Sudbury nickel deposits are due a meteorite collision, so it's more of a nickel basin than a vein, where the centre of the basin contains post collision rock deposits. Although maybe there is post collision nickel concentration into veins??

Mr Mike

RobinGriffiths said:
The Sudbury nickel deposits are due a meteorite collision, so it's more of a nickel basin than a vein, where the centre of the basin contains post collision rock deposits. Although maybe there is post collision nickel concentration into veins??

That is interesting. It never occured to me that could happen on such a scale.

AR

Mr Mike said:
RobinGriffiths said:

That is interesting. It never occured to me that could happen on such a scale.

That must have been one hell of an iron-nickel meteorite! Long before life evolved, one assumes...

RobinGriffiths

1849 Ma according to Wikipedia, so yes, before multicellular lifeforms in any case. Way after the so called 'late heavy bombardment' up to 3.8G years where the earth was mopping up solar system debris, but there must have been some big 'uns going round for a long time after.

mikem

Maybe it could be included in a mining 'experience':
https://www.sciencenorth.ca/dynamic-earth

& a bit further south:
https://uwaterloo.ca/earth-sciences-museum/resources/mining-canada/mining-history-sudbury-area

legendrider

Already ticked the 1km ladder climb off my Bucket List in 1994 when I was working as a Marine Cargo Inspector in Al-Jubail, Saudi Arabia. 

The job was to inspect and gas-free all the holds, cofferdams and ballast tanks on a bulk carrier prior to departure for drydock in Bahrain.  I worked out I'd climbed down - and up again - the height of Helvellyn.  The early summer temperature on deck was a cool 45C!

Certainly good training for a trip to Greenside Mine!

MARK

pwhole

My last away job involved walking up the stairs inside this big bastard in Liverpool between four and eight times a day in full kit, carrying paint buckets, tools or cement, for five weeks - thirteen floors, and 60m to the top. I'm the one on the right - we had to do two coats on two faces, and did a better job than the guys using a mast-climber. The lifts were installed on the last day of the job - the same day my appendix burst and I spent another week there in hospital. Is there any wonder? Hilariously, when it was close to discharge time, this perky young physio lady came to get me and told me it was time to do the 'stairwell test' to check my stamina - involving walking up 'up to two' flights of stairs. Through the big glass windows on the stairwell, we could see this lift-core, now painted, so I told her what I'd been doing and what I did in my spare time. She said 'Right - so you should be OK on stairs then?' So I trotted up two flights, holding my drain-bag, and she was happy enough with that, and I went home that day after next - without the drain-bag, obviously :)

Attachments

• 20210513_155023_sm.jpg
    20210513_155023_sm.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 120

Cantclimbtom

Wow, to improve stair climbing performance you had part of your body surgically removed to lessen your weight? Now that is dedication!