Jingling Pot - The tree is about to fall into it

Jeanrr

Just in case anyone is planning to go down Jingling Pot, I will save you the walk.

The tree is about to fall down it.

aricooperdavis

There are alternative ways to get down Jingling that don't involve the tree, would they be out of harms way when it comes down?

CNCC

Photo and details here: https://cncc.org.uk/news/20211209-jingling-pot-treefall

It appears (although we have not been to inspect yet) that the trunk has nearly snapped at the base, posing a risk of the entire thing slipping down the main shaft. We will look to see if this is something we can deal with via our volunteers, although if anyone is happy to take this project on, please let us know.

alexchien

I would be willing to sort the tree out with chainsaw, ropes  etc.

If someone has a 4WD to get some kit there and the wood back to the roadside.......

CNCC

@Alexchien, thank you!

Can you email conservation@cncc.org.uk to let our Conservation Officer know you are keen to help? We have already started the ball rolling on this one, a few emails have gone around and I believe some phone calls are being made over the next few days, so hopefully something will get sorted.

If anyone else is going to deal with this, please let us know so we can avoid duplication of effort  ;)

tobyk

Anyone know what kind of tree this is?
Would be nice to get a replacement planted, although maybe not practical.

AR

Going by the bark, I think it's a Rowan. If so, it's probably dropped enough berries round there over the years for one to sprout and take over the patch.

2xw

Maybe should let some bits fall in. Let the microbes and critters have a bit of habitat

hannahb

AR I had the same thought. It would need protection from grazing, which is probably why there aren't lots of little rowans springing up. I've got a feeling rowan seeds have to be processed in some way before they will germinate (e.g. partial digestion by birds) but I might have made that up.

Shall we look into it? I'll ask the CNCC conservation officer for a start.

The trees in and around the entrances up there are fascinating and a really good example of what can grow out of the reach of grazing animals. I once read that the name Rowten comes from an old word for rowan, but there are other potential sources for the name Rowten, too.

Speleotron

Many people will refuse to cut down a rowan tree due to it being bad luck but it's probably worse luck to have it fall down the shaft onto you.

Pitlamp

Hannab - if you're into cave entrance flora you absolutely must go and look at Cuddy Gill Pot No.1 (at Ribblehead) in mid to late June. It's usually a riot of colour with the richly diversified wild flowers. Also a walk down daylight entrance, so no need to faff with tackle.

CNCC

A few photos of the tree in happier (and sunnier) times have now been added to the news article: https://cncc.org.uk/news/20211209-jingling-pot-treefall

Some initial phoning around and we think we've found a volunteer who has all the tools and experience to deal with this, hopefully this side of Christmas. If any extra manpower is needed we'll be in touch with those who have kindly offered to help (although this may end up just getting done as a one-person job at short notice). The remaining part of the tree will be given the best possible chance providing its anchorage is still solid.

Obviously, if you see someone wielding a chainsaw around Kingsdale, keep clear for safety reasons (good advice at any time really).

Avoiding Jingling Pot until this is dealt with is strongly recommended - We'll post again once all is safe again.

As regards planting a replacement tree (or more), thanks again to the people who have been in touch about this. Sounds like a lovely idea. We're taking some advice and if this goes ahead, no doubt you will be getting an email to take up your kind offers of help.

Mr Dinwiddy

Rowan berries do need processing before they grow, and the way this happens in nature is for them to go through the gut of a bird- thrush, blackbird, redwing or fieldfare most commonly. This has the added benefit of dispersing the seed from the parent tree. Co-evolution in action: the bird gets the flesh of the berry and the tree gets its seeds dispersed and deposited across the landscape with a blob of fertiliser.

However you can simply strip the flesh from the berry to get at the seed inside and they will germinate quite happily. I tried a pot full of berries with no results but the same number of berries crushed between the fingers to get the pips out, gave me a pot full of young rowans.

AlanClark

When we stood across from the tree last weekend it looked as though some of the bank the tree is/was rooted in has already collapsed into the shaft, the base of the tree has rooted through. It will probably want to be anchored to a tractor or similar and either cut up in situ or dragged clear.

kay

tobyk said:
Anyone know what kind of tree this is?
Would be nice to get a replacement planted, although maybe not practical.

Hopefully going to get sorted out next weekend, and replacement trees to be planted out of reach of sheep.

kay

Jeanrr said:
Just in case anyone is planning to go down Jingling Pot, I will save you the walk.

The tree is about to fall down it.

When you saw it, was it any worse than on https://cncc.org.uk/news/20211209-jingling-pot-treefall  Is it on the move?