Goyden Pot

adamski555

On one of the best days of the year weather wise. I decided it was time to refresh my memory of Goyden Pot.After a check of the reservoir we got kitted up by the picnic tables.It was over a year since i was last down here on a cold frosty winters night.I was amazed by the size of the trees and logs at the entrance,there must have been some big floods over he winter.The route we took went via Mud hall and Pyridine Passage and on to ten foot climb.The next bit is a great bit of passage along Sand Tunnel.At a junction we went right and soon came out at twenty Foot Pitch.The rope on this climb could do with being replaced.At the foot of this we poked our heads into the Worm Drive ,but not having a good survey we left it for another day.We soon got to High Rift with has a metal chain hanging down it.The next bit of passage is a favourite of mine.A narrow t-shaped passage leads to a climb down  with in-sit rope to a swing across a deep pool.Next we headed up new Stream Passage after a while we broke out in to the Labyrinth.All that was left was the grand march up the Main Stream passage to the entrance.We even met 3 cavers who had been down New Goyden Pot at the entrance.
Has any one been to the top of High Rift. You would need to be a good climber to hand over hand up the metal chain.Or climb the rift behind.Whats at the top .

langcliffe

adamski555 said:
We even met 3 cavers who had been down New Goyden Pot at the entrance.

We did almost the same, but started off with the main stream passage to Five Ways. After coming out of New Stream Passage, we headed across Labyrinth Passage to A-Junction and the top of Mud Hall, creating a nice figure of eight loop . We started the day with New Goyden and Manchester Hole, which makes a pleasant day out.

The Beet Route is at the top of the chain - about 100 m of good size passage to a sump, originally explored by CUCC in about 1984. The rift was climbed by Julian Griffiths.

Goydenman

The Beet route is one of the most interesting passages within Goyden. Clean grey limestone with strong black chert in the roof that then becomes the floor. The passage goes on and on with numerous climbs down to end eventually at the sump - great fun. The climb up on the left if awkward bu the chain can be pulled as a help.