Hidden Earth Competition Results and Staff Credits

graham

Sadly there is an error right at the start:

The winners of the Speleo-Olympics incorporating Artificial Cave, team of two were Cat Hulse and Anya Keatley. Someone obviously didn't record Anya's name correctly.

Anyway Well done to the UBSS Girls  :bow: :beer: (y)

graham said:
Someone obviously didn't record Anya's name correctly
Thanks. I have corrected that.  Incidentally, one of the benefits of having online-entry-only for the Photo and Video Salons this year was that any spelling mistakes were clearly the fault of the entrants  :)  One idea we had, but we ran out of time to implement it, was to have a screen showing a live results table from the SRT races and Speleo Olympics. A spin-off from this would be catching spelling/transcription mistakes earlier.

traff

Not wishing to pick fault with the hard work but I guess the winner of of the Photo Salon Digital Image Category would be Amy Hinkle not Any Hinkle.

Amy

Some of my certifications in rescue were misspelled Any Hinkle. So it is now a running joke that we don't really need Amy because Any Hinkle will do.  :LOL:

traff said:
Not wishing to pick fault with the hard work but I guess the winner of of the Photo Salon Digital Image Category would be Amy Hinkle not Any Hinkle.

Now corrected. Amy's name is spelled correctly in all the instances where the text was computer-generated, straight from the database, and incorrectly the one time I typed it manually. There's a lesson there.

2xw

DavidGibson said:
Incidentally, one of the benefits of having online-entry-only for the Photo and Video Salons this year was that any spelling mistakes were clearly the fault of the entrants 

Pfft, somebody clearly magically added an 'S' to the end of my name, and it deffo wasn't on the form  ;)

Nice one to all the organisers btw, some of those photos were brilliant, and I especially enjoyed losing to Chris Howes  :ras:

2xw said:
Pfft, somebody clearly magically added an 'S' to the end of my name, and it deffo wasn't on the form  ;)
OK... tracked that down and corrected it. Sorry about that. That's a good example of how human intervention introduces errors. The digital list was correct but, for the merits and distinctions, there was a gap in the "processes" and it was quicker to retype the data, to get it from one list to another. Quicker but error prone.  And that error then propagated. :(

We've been tweaking the competition processes for some years now, and I think that next year - fingers crossed - we'll be able to do most of it "automatically". One thing that takes a lot of time is building a video to show the merits and distinctions at the closing ceremony. This year, we didnt do it like that, because it takes too long to render the video, but the "shortcut" we took didnt present the photos in the best possible way. Next year, because we will have all the data digitally (names, titles, photos, mugshots)  we can build an AV literally at the click of a button. Im writing the software to do that now, whilst Hidden Earth is fresh in my mind. Also, we're going to try to get the competition co-ordinators to upload their results via their smartphones (them that has one and isnt afraid to use it). This will avoid the bizarre situation of one competition judge writing his notes on his laptop and then transcribing them by hand onto the official "pink sheet".  Another idea, which we didnt have time to put in place this year, is to have a computer monitor showing the live SRT race and Speleo Olympics results.  Although it could be interesting to the audience, the real reason for doing it is, of course, to try to get the data digitally at the earliest opportunity.  And to give the contestants time to correct the spelling of their names.  :)

CatM

For the sake of accuracy, it's Mark Sims - not Simms. I did point this out at the time and the extra m was crossed out on the results sheet but it seems to have crept back in.

While I'm here, I'd like to echo the thanks to all the organisers: a fab job as always!  :)

CatM said:
For the sake of accuracy, it's Mark Sims - not Simms. I did point this out at the time and the extra m was crossed out on the results sheet but it seems to have crept back in.
It often does :(  Youre one of a number of cavers who, unfortunately, often get their names mis-spelled. I have corrected the results list.