Looking for underground stuff in Torquay area..

D

Dep

Hi People,
at the end of July/start August I will be on holiday in Torquay for a week with the family. Usually when we go away for a week I wangle a whole day to myself to go out and about and take my caving kit with me just in case.
I am looking for anything (caves or mines) that is accessible or worth a visit in the Torquay area or within an hour's drive or so.
Also: can anyone tell me if the Buckfastleigh caves are suitable for 'tourists' - ie is it somewhere that I could take the wife and kids?
Kids love going underground but wife only likes it if totally touristified with refreshments at the end and strictly no heights!
Failing anything underground I am also keenly interested in geology/fossil hunting - are there any good places along that coastline?
Any help or sugestions welcomed.
Thanks.

Les W

Dep said:
I am looking for anything (caves or mines) that is accessible or worth a visit in the Torquay area or within an hour's drive or so.

An Hours drive from Torquay puts you pretty much anywhere in east / south Devon, Tony Oldhams "Concise Caves of Devon will give you a good start.

Dep said:
Also: can anyone tell me if the Buckfastleigh caves are suitable for 'tourists' - ie is it somewhere that I could take the wife and kids?

Pridhamsleigh Cavern is easy access, ideal for kids etc. but needs lights and old clothes.
Bakers Pit is also well worth a trip but has a deep shaft (fixed ladders) for access. Once in, there is lots to see (>3km) but it is quite mazey.
Afton Red Rift is a superb trip but quite strenuous and involves exposed traverse, awkward climbs, squeeze and a round trip.
Both Afton and Bakers are gated, keys are available from DCUC, or from the DSS

Dep said:
Kids love going underground but wife only likes it if totally touristified with refreshments at the end and strictly no heights!

Kents Cavern
http://www.kents-cavern.co.uk/

Dep said:
Failing anything underground I am also keenly interested in geology/fossil hunting - are there any good places along that coastline?
Any help or sugestions welcomed.
Thanks.

Charmouth ,Lyme Regis, etc. along the Jurassic coast. a short drive east of exeter to a fossil hunters paradise. So good it's been made a World Heritage Site!!
http://www.jurassiccoast.com/index.jsp

Hope this helps, there is plenty more info if you need it. Just ask. :D :D

AndyF

This has to be paradise, think about the name....

http://www.beerquarrycaves.fsnet.co.uk/BEERQU~1/Beer_Quarry_Cx.html

D

Dep

Many thanks for those excellent suggestions. :)

I shall get in touch with the DCUC/DSS and see if I can persuade someone to go into Bakers Pit with me.

I intend to visit Pridhamsleigh, probably with my son as the mud will put off my wife and daughter.

Kent's Cavern is a must-see of my wife's so that's cool - needs no effort to persuade her.

So if I am crafty 8) I can get all three of these trips in as my day out, my 'father-and son' day out and a whole-family day out.

I shall be happy to sit on the beach or in a bar for the rest of the time.

And as a bonus I have persuaded her that we shoulkd travel homewards via the south coast - which wil take in Beer Caves and an afternoon in Lyme Regis.

We had a holiday at Budlegh Salterton many years ago and could not do Beer Quarry as my wife was about 7 months gone with our son.

So - should be an entertaining week.

Sorry to pester - but are there any quiet tourist free beaches in the area, I am asuming that Torquay itself will be absolutely humming with people and best avoided?

Les W

Dep said:
Sorry to pester - but are there any quiet tourist free beaches in the area, I am asuming that Torquay itself will be absolutely humming with people and best avoided?

You want a quiet, tourist free beach, on the Riviera, in August. You've got to be kidding. :(

gus horsley

Les W said:
Dep said:

You want a quiet, tourist free beach, on the Riviera, in August. You've got to be kidding. :(

Yep, I think the nearest one's Sally's Cove near Porthtowan (Cornwall). Take a 100ft abseil rope and jumars if you're intending to visit. You should get in about half an hour either side of low tide before it disappears.

D

Dep

You want a quiet, tourist free beach, on the Riviera, in August. You've got to be kidding

Yes, that's what I was afraid off!

Take a 100ft abseil rope and jumars if you're intending to visit
Sounds great to me, my sort of place, can't see my wife being up for it though! :shock:

Thanks anyway.