New Goyden - Dive - 23/07/2016 - (PART 1)

UKMC

3a052e5cbaa1532d2b676dc638cd4d4a.jpg

After an early start and a drive up to Yorkshire I was blessed with the sight of a kebab box in my rover left from the night before only one thing to do!
After a danger close dash to the bogs at the gorge (seems UK best kebabs may not be the best breakfast) we started the carry's to the entrance on the riverbed

7eaab27732608b056ba25be74a602de8.jpg

A tricky tight entrance was a awkward job to get 5 kit bags past but with some pushing and shoving we got there in the end. Two easy pitches managed with an 50m rope & 8 crabs we found ourself in the large main stream way we left SRT kit and started to move kit to dive base for the down stream sumps

The plan was to dive middle sump to bypass the awkward climb to the sump bypass chamber to see how far we can get towards sump 7/8 both being to long to dive. Seems I drew the short straw to dive first middle sump 12m/15m starts in a steep gravel bank to a depth of 3.5m changing to a area of sticks and sand along the bottom with the odd large bolder. Vis was more than poor every tie off put me back into a cloud of 0 visibility. After some zig zagging about on quite a wide sump I found a steep upward gravel bank. My first mistake was thinking I'm smaller than I am after a small amount of digging I decided to have a squeeze into the small gap created. My second mistake was getting stuck just as I got to the point I was getting stuck I decided to push myself back out of the upward slot I had dug sadly the rock collapse had other ideas. Unknown to myself the top of the slope was a mass of loose boulders that at my point of reversing decided to fall on my head me being a cleaver dick used my hands to push them all away from my head thus creating two lovely mounds of boulders that went down and round my cylinders and with ease blocked me from reversing backward. For the first time of a number of times on this dive I will not bullshit you I was more than thinking I was going to come unstuck and meet my watery death and for a split second I started to panic. After telling myself to get a grip and the only way to get back home to the girls was to sort this mess out was to think like a caver and dig I slid my arms down my cylinders and started to push rocks sideways and thankfully they started to move and I cleared my backwards path and I reversed. More than shaken by the experience I decided to take five after a short breather I started to look for other options but my panic had made a cloud of dirt that was not going to clear any time soon I decided to tie off my reel on a bolder and head back the 12m or so to discus with CC and to be quite honest I needed to be back in air for a short time feeling I had been out matched by the middle sump. After handing on the challenge to CC he managed to sort my zig zags out and find the correct way up the gravel slope and we both made it to the start of sump 1

TBC - When I have more time & photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_4225.JPG
    IMG_4225.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 370

Cristian

Good work Ewan.
Not far from where I found the reel tied off, I found the pebbles slope on the left hand. It took only few rocks to be moved away to start an avalanche of pebbles rolling down the incline which forced a caution retreat. On second attempt I found that the passage gets roomier moving more to the left (east) and by careful wriggling between boulders and cave projections I surfaced on the other side of the sump where I tied the line, dropped my fins and made a quick return through the sump to bring the news.
I will upload some gopro screen grabs later on to complement your report. An unfortunate accident seen the helmet gopro mount broken by the end of first pitch, wich meant only footage recorded while holding the gopro in my hand.
Part two gets even better (sump1) culminating with part 3 (sump2)
An unforgettable trip  :beer:

Goydenman

Great to meet you in the pub and see your GoPro footage of New Goyden 3...impressive passage and very interesting 'alcove' and hole by the start of sump 3

Cristian

Great to meet you too Goydenman. We shall meet again

Couple of screen grabs from my gopro related to this report part:

27944475653_4bb8cd95e5_o.jpg

28527704296_8184d553b9_o.jpg

28482159141_3a76d4dc06_o.jpg

28527708316_c3062c1516_o.jpg

28276116120_a2c929a848_o.jpg

28276116370_b2e5325b3b_o.jpg
[/url]

28560023335_9a7ff475e8_o.jpg

28560024805_10134f8128_o.jpg

27942961764_c2b39e853d_o.jpg

UKMC

normygenius said:
Nice pics and an eyebrow raising report Ron. Simon G.

It's a honest report - Ewan