2013 Warmbac PVC oversuit

Pete K

Hello all. Noticed that the new Warmbac PVC suit is in production and on sale. Just put a trade order in of centre suits and was told it was very similar although obviously in PVC.
Unfortunately, that was the extent of Warmbac's help. I have a price but no images, stockists or reviews.
Has anybody out there got one? Would love to see some photos and a review. It's a bargain compared to the Lyon suit but I don't want to blindly order one and find it's just the same as the awful old Warmbac plastic suits that simply don't bend.
Cheers.

estelle

quite a few comments about the new Warmbac PVC in this thread - http://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=14701.0 - i've been using one for about 6 months now as got a trial suit before they were released and am very pleased with it. It's as flexible and comfortable to cave in as the Meander Criou suits were and the small hole i managed to put in the bum a few trips back didn't tear at all beyond the original penetration on several caving trips before repair which was reassuring (i've sewn it up and patched it now). It is definitely not the same as the older style PVC suits Warmbac used to make which were a bit too heavy duty for regular caving! I believe Starless River have stock of them now if you catch up with Tony on his travels sometime.

Pete K

Thanks Estelle, I'd missed that in my search. Nothing on Tony's site yet about the Warmbac suit.
Encouraging review, I may have to try one but I think I'll hang on until I can see one in the flesh.

estelle

I think Tony was waiting to get it modelled for pics before putting it online from what he said when i saw him in Yorkshire a couple of weeks back.

Aubrey

I also have a trial Warmbac PVC suit.
It is still waterproof and superb for digging, it is the best suit I have (other than the one I was born in !!).
Maybe a bit warm for the summer but that's what you would expect wearing PVC.

Pete K

Just had a phone call from Dave at Warmbac, they are sending me up a sample of the material to look at.
If anyone fancies posting a photo or 2 of a full suit that would be good.

estelle

not the best of photos as it does just make it look like any old yellow suit, but i've managed to evade being photographed caving recently!
300597_10151642515930837_2094312757_n.jpg

cap n chris

WARMBAC PVC suit:

Having been involved in the early trials of this suit it has now gone into production proper and is available for ?93.41 including VAT. The stitching style on the production suit has changed from the original trial suits so that it is not exposed to undue abrasion and the rear seam has been doubly reinforced with a neoprene-filled tubular seam overstitched onto it as a wear-surface.

The suit comes with neoprene cuffs and collar, wide velcro fastening, an internal pocket and external arm-mounted pocket (not shown on this photo since these are no-frills versions); if you have a bespoke requirement it can surely be catered for on request.

8975901973_156b29ca2a_z.jpg

8975903511_d28eb121dd.jpg

Second picture shows the newer style stitching.

FWIW my original PVC trial suit was given a hammering and it withstood a huge amount of abuse - the PVC itself didn't fail/tear on that one, instead the stitching wearing out but that's been reviewed and modified with this production suit.

8977575376_296654732e_z.jpg

estelle

and yes it really as yellow as Chris's photos until you get it dirty! ;) My trial suit went back after about 50hrs usage (mostly digging abuse) and had the new neoprene filled seam added as this was the only place that had really shown any wear. On newer suits this is now part of the standard.

cap n chris

It's AOK as far as I'm concerned.

PS If you load it with 400KN by tieing each arm to the bumper of two opposing trucks then there's a good chance the seams may part. For wasp-sucking speleological malcontents who are hoping to purchase an indestructible everlasting titanium-and-kevlar perfect-fitting suit for a retail price of less than tuppence I'm glad to report that they'll be looking for a while longer yet.  :)

ah147

I think I want one! But I've only just bought my first suit....but that is soo yellow. I like bright colours :D

seddon

Suits up on the site, sorry for the delay! Had to find a nice friendly photographer, as it's a bit cheeky to ask the Cap'n for free piccies when my aim is (whisper it) to make money out of them...

ah147

Bought one today. Took it through white scar up to the first sump in the phreatic series. It fits and moves really really well. The materials quite thick, sort of like a tackle sack material, so it looks like it might last a while.

It holds air like nuts, trying to get through some ducks I had to really squeeze myself into a ball to get the air out of it so I could sink!

Coming out of the ducks when you stand up the arms fill with water and the neoprene cuffs don't really let the water out so you have to pull the cuffs to let them drain or lift your arms up and let it hit you again :D

All in all no real complaints at all, the velcro closure worked perfectly all day and I'm always opening and closing my suit to take my camera out, but I'm interested to see how it will hold up to some peak mud.

Hope this helps someone.