What about the beer

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52199185

Throwing all this beer away - where does it all end up?  Will there be sumps full of Black Sheep?  Strange times

Pitlamp

Sumps full of Black Sheep? Now you're talking; I'll get the tanks filled ready for the end of the lockdown!

AR

Pitlamp said:
Sumps full of Black Sheep? Now you're talking; I'll get the tanks filled ready for the end of the lockdown!

There'll be no shortage of volunteers for siphoning... :beer:

mikem

But saying that beer actually expires is a bit misleading. It doesn?t actually spoil or become unsafe to drink. It will just start to taste flat, flavorless, and unappealing

martinb

mikem said:
But saying that beer actually expires is a bit misleading. It doesn?t actually spoil or become unsafe to drink. It will just start to taste flat, flavorless, and unappealing

You've just described a number of 1970's 'favourites' - Double Diamond or Watneys Red Barrel..... :LOL: :LOL:

maxf

Pitlamp said:

Might be an improvement in visibility in some places

pwhole

I have the vaguest memory of this from my childhood, but given that would have been in Rotherham, I'm not sure how I would have encountered Watneys ads on Yorkshire TV - I did like The Scaffold, though this is stretching my childhood affectations a bit now.
The Fred Trueman Stones Bitter fire-breathing advert seems to be have been erased from history. Probably a good thing. And I still don't like beer after 40 years of trying to  :halo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw9wZech9OQ

mikem

They sold it in your local nightclub:
https://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk/news/view,do-you-remember-rotherhams-charade-nightclub_18966.htm

pwhole

Ohmygod.

That was more than my local nightclub - I spent most Monday nights from age 17-19 there, for the 'rock' night - but I was just as likely to have been on shrooms etc. as drinking bad beer, though I do remember Southern Comfort and lime 'kind of' working. I wonder if the guy would be interested in that? I could tell him about the three hours I spent lying on the traffic roundabout outside the club watching the clouds turn into classical Greek statues  :blink:

Luckily I only lived a mile away so could usually get home and safely indoors without too many problems - as long as I didn't wake up everyone else  ;)

gingerlycolors

Joking aside a good percentage of pubs will not be re-opening after this crisis is over.  Many cavers' pubs have gone to the wall in the last 30 years and I hate to see the remaining few such as the Hunters Lodge, Ancient Briton and Helwith Bridge join them.  When pubs are allowed to re-open and if your favourite pub is still in business please do be generous with tipping of bar staff as they would have been through hell.  :beer:

AR

As well as drinking in our favourite hostelries, we need to go out and eat in them as much as we can afford to after this - food is where they make the majority of their money.

Tripod

Without advertising directly my daughter and son-in-law and trying to keep afloat by selling food (including home made pizzas) and vegetable boxes. But as already stated, a lot of pubs will not be reopening. Maybe some will be bought up and redeveloped or let out in better times to tenants at escalating rents, something we have seen to lead to pub closures already?   

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
One of my Mendip caving friends has said that he doesn't think the Hunters will reopen.  Not just because of the pandemic but other reasons as well.