Yorkshire Film Archive - Cave Rescue

langcliffe

We've found some colour Ely Simpson film from the early 1950s that we are hoping to make available through the same organisation.

SamT

Hmm - like the "Audio Archives" - it would be great to have a dedicated/secure repository for vid also. (guess there are huge copyright issues  ::)  )

I guess at the very minimum, a thread on these forums with links to various bits of film already on-line.

robjones

The 1963 Cave Rescue film is really well-filmed and its good to see the stills at the end of the cameraman and assiatants in action. The lighting must have been a real task. To modern cave photographers' eyes, its often over-lit, but for the general audience it was intended for, the lighting was probably about right. Hopefully it helped get the message across that 'cavers rescue cavers' and that it does not cost the taxpayer. Indicative of the time it was made was the casualty having a fag as soon as the stretcher got to surface! 

graham

robjones said:
The 1963 Cave Rescue film is really well-filmed and its good to see the stills at the end of the cameraman and assiatants in action. The lighting must have been a real task. To modern cave photographers' eyes, its often over-lit, but for the general audience it was intended for, the lighting was probably about right. Hopefully it helped get the message across that 'cavers rescue cavers' and that it does not cost the taxpayer. Indicative of the time it was made was the casualty having a fag as soon as the stretcher got to surface!

Off topic, I know, but too much "modern cave photography" is woefully under-lit.

In my opinion of course.

robjones

graham said:
robjones said:
To modern cave photographers' eyes, its often over-lit, but for the general audience it was intended for, the lighting was probably about right. 

Off topic, I know, but too much "modern cave photography" is woefully under-lit.

In my opinion of course.

In my documentary photography mines, I tend to what in cave photography is considered over-lit, as I seek to record rather than to create drama. Horses for courses - but yes I agree, fashion has changed with regard  to lighting in cave photography - at least for photos intended to be judged by fellow cavers, who expect an image that looks like what they see with a couple of cap lamps.

graham

robjones said:
... fellow cavers, who expect an image that looks like what they see with a couple of cap lamps.

Is that a couple of Fx2s or a couple of Scurion Ks?  :blink:

robjones

Good point!  ;)  Maybe light levels in photos will start to rise again now LEDs are getting so efficient!  ::)

Goydenman

Great links especially the 1964 UWFRA one shot in Goyden and Hell Hole. The shot of the PC looking at  the Goyden survey is fascinating as the survey does not show Mud Hall - so presumably that was found later. Does anyone out there have that version of the survey?
It was nice to watch a cave video with enough light to see something  ;)

mikem

Original link no longer works as it has moved to:
http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/search?search_api_views_fulltext=cave&sort_by=search_api_relevance&sort_order=DESC

Now includes reels 1 to 3 of Eli Simpson's Birth of a Yorkshire River (1953), Underground Eiger (1979), Fell Beck & Gaping Gill (made by CPC in 1963), Settle Limes Ltd quarrying (1949) and a couple of rambling films.

mikem

The British Pathe links also don't work, but can be found amongst others:
https://www.britishpathe.com/search/query/potholing

More can be found here:
https://www.britishpathe.com/search/query/caving