Ray Mansfield RIP

rhychydwr1

Just heard that Ray died this morning.  We go back a long way, caved together in the 1950s.

I am a bit upset at the moment, but will write an obituary later.

nickwilliams

Sad news indeed. I first met Ray when I was involved in helping to produce the BCRA's bibliographic index Current Titles in Speleology. Later he and Janet were very kind to me when I first moved to Somerset in 1989.

There can be very other few people who knew as many cavers around the world as Ray did - I think he knew more people than even J-rat. I'm afraid I did not see much of him and Janet since moving to Derbyshire in the mid 90's but I will remember him as always welcoming, always fantastic company.

mrodoc

Ray is famous on Mendip for his bibliography work. I caved with him once in St. Cuthberts and was impressed with the speed at which he zoomed up the entrance rift.

Bob Mehew

Ray's bibliographic work was legendary as was his recall skills when you asked him a question.  Spent many a happy day underground with him including 3 months caving our way around the USA.  Depressing news indeed.

Pitlamp

I never had the opportunity to meet Ray but I was always massively grateful to him because I regularly consulted his published work on early CDG material.

Clive G

Very sorry to hear the news about Ray.

His bibliographic work for Current Titles in Speleology over many years has formed a cornerstone of BCRA's output - with considerable international as well as national importance. I don't think there was one BCRA Council meeting during the 1990s-00s, whilst I was involved with the association, when his name didn't come up (in a positive light) for one reason or another.

nickwilliams

For some time, Ray worked at Uphill's, the agricultural machinery dealer in Chewton Mendip. Uphills were a dealer for Zetor Tractors, made in what was then Czechosolvakia (this was before the fall of the Iron Curtain).

When perusing the Zetor parts catalogue one day, Ray noticed an entry for "Pilsner, 12 x 1l". The currency converted cost was about ?12. Intrigued as to what this might be, Ray ordered one along with the next parts shipment, and was rewarded some weeks later with a delivery of which included a box of 12 one litre bottles of Pilsner Urquell, also a product of what was to become the Czech Republic.  This was well before the brand had ever been heard of in the UK, and even then (1990) a 1 litre bottle of beer for a quid was outstanding value for money. Knowing it had been imported as tractor spares only made it taste better.

rhychydwr1

Funeral is at noon next Wednesday 16th March at the Mendip Crematorium (between Wells and Shepton Mallet) followed by refreshments at the Hunters Lodge.    Parking is a bit limited at the Crem, especially if there?s a big funeral before, so I?m suggesting car sharing where possible.  There seem to be a lot planning to attend.

Mendip Crematorium
Old Wells Road
Croscombe
Wells
BA5 3RR
Telephone: 01749 340930 / 01749 340911

nickwilliams said:
Sad news indeed. I first met Ray when I was involved in helping to produce the BCRA's bibliographic index Current Titles in Speleology.
That was my introduction to Ray, too. He was very supportive of BCRA's Cave Radio Group in the early days, providing bibliographic references and, if I remember correctly, helping you, Nick, in your own Bibliography of Underground Communications. Ray's work on Current Titles, and then on Speleo Abstracts, was astonishing. I had many long phone conversations with him, in which we both let off steam on aspects of the "national caving bodies of the time", and it was largely Ray who helped me to come to realise that these bodies (e.g. BCA, BCRA) do not really have any existence - its just the people in them that make them exist.  Ray did a huge amount for BCRA - as I know he did for other clubs and groups.

rhychydwr1

Fantastic funeral, over 120 cavers cyclists  and other friends attended.  Grand PU at the Hunters,  Full report to follow.