P and I Officer report to Council

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Report from Publications & Information Officer September 2019

WWW.BCACAVINGCOVER.COM

A huge amount of work went into promoting the new Caving Expedition Insurance website.  An advert was designed for Descent: (Thanks Gary)

wl

?and for use on other social media

wl

https://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php?id=expedition_insurance
https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=25148.0

I had difficulty persuading the insurers to produce some information cards for Hidden Earth. It took a phone call from Howard Jones before they leapt into action (thank you, Howard).  500 cards were sent to me and I ended up tracking the DPD driver down by following the van on their app into a farmyard to ensure I got the parcel before we set ff for Hidden Earth! 

THE PROMOTION OF BCA

As stated in my previous 2 reports:

?I believe the BCA needs to better promote itself as an organisation to the wider caving community. Ensure cavers know what it actually does and why BCA is relevant to them?.

Also:

?The BCA therefore needs (amongst other means of communication) a strong presence online, which includes a modern website and active social media pages?.

Hence?.

I intend to design a new advert, improving on that below for Descent ? suggestions most welcome.
The next deadline is end of Oct. I would like a new advert in place as BCA shouldn?t just be promoting the expedition insurance website which the current Descent advert does. Previous advert:

wl

Repeated from my last report, however still relevant and should I believe be discussed further at council:
The advert in the next edition of Descent will cost ?500.  Looking at it purely from a cost effectiveness point of view, the expenditure of ?3000 a year on BCA advertising in Descent is poor value for money.  BCA is reaching (I believe) an older demographic of caver with the Descent adverts ? I base this on the CHECC questionnaire where not a single respondent mentioned Descent.  Although I am not suggesting, BCA advertise itself as an association in the Duke of Edinburgh magazine, I have experience advertising in this publication and know a quarter page advert, which reaches 30,000 people, would cost ?350 before any negotiated discount.  I do not wish to give Descent?s readership here, however it is below 30,000. My point is, BCA could reach many more cavers (especially younger ones) with adverts and other positive messages on social media for ?3,000 than it does via Descent and it could promote caving to a wider audience (ie DofE) more cost effectively.
I am given to understand, BCA advertising in Descent is as much financial support of the magazine as it is to promote BCA itself.  I have no problem with this, Descent is the last of its kind in the UK and has certainly been a part of my caving life for over 30 years.  However, if BCA is to support Descent to the tune of ?3000 annually, should BCA not be upfront and proud about this with its members?  For too long, many cavers see BCA as just a ?provider of insurance? etc, the message in the new advert is a start in addressing this and BCA?s generous support of Descent would be another positive message from BCA.

I also believe we should make far more of the money BCA give to Ghar Parau for expeditions.  It?s ironic that GP have such a positive image amongst cavers whereas BCA has some work to do ? yet it?s mainly BCA money that is handed out by GP each year.  Should BCA not be proud about this too??

FACEBOOK

? The number of ?likes? is now over 1147 (up from 930) and rising.  I intend to promote the BCA facebook page itself to increase the number of likes as it?s a great way to reach many cavers cost effectively.

? Repeated again - If other BCA groups ?tag? BCA in their facebook posts, I will see them and know to share.  It?s too time consuming looking at lots of groups every day. Use @BritishCavingAssociation also use @ukcaving and I will share on there too.

? BCRA are active on facebook but the two organisations aren?t working together, it would be good to improve this. As of 22/9/2019 there was no mention of Hidden Earth on the BCRA facebook page for example (apart from a post from July). I have tried to share some BCRA posts onto the BCA page and will see what I can do to improve this co operation going forward.

? BCA, CNCC, Hidden Earth & UKC work well together online ? it would be good to see more integration from others as well.

The BCA Newsletter.

I intend to conduct a social media campaign when the next newsletter is published at the end of the year to a) promote the latest edition and b) encourage people to sign up to receive it. 

BCA Publications, Advice Notices and Information

Some of the notices listed on the current BCA website are outdated ? no doubt this will be addressed during the new website design.  If my help is required, please do let me know.

THE PROMOTION OF CAVING ? NEW TO CAVING LEAFLETS

With thanks to Gary & Matt, the leaflets are now ready for distribution ? please contact me for your supply and help us spread the word about caving.  If you have contacts at Showcaves, Scout Groups, Climbing Walls indeed anywhere where potential new cavers may be, please help BCA display our New To Caving leaflets there, thank you.  I will bring copies to the Council meeting + some Perspex holders we have purchased.

wl

Kendal Mountain Festival 2019

Planning for The Underground Session at Kendal is well underway.  New to Caving leaflets will be readily available at the event and hopefully we?ll encourage folks into and under the mountains as well as up them 😊

Hidden Earth 2019.

With thanks to Gary for designing a great banner and logo cloth ? BCA had a stand at Hidden Earth this year.  There was lots of information on various aspects of BCA and a suggestion box.  It was good that the BCRA/Library stands were close by.  We could have done with more representatives from BCA on the stand ? Hellie did an amazing job, thank you Hellie.  I struggled to spend enough time on the BCA stand as the UKC stand was busy ? I need to address this somehow next year.

wl

Here are the quotes from the suggestion box:

? The BCA should get on with representing the majority view of its membership.  Specifically ? after the BCA vote on whether to actively campaign for inclusion within CROW ? it spent many years being prevented from doing so by a couple of members invoking obscure points of the constitution to stop the campaign.  Therefore I hold BCA in very low esteem.
? Online voting for everyone
? Good if BCA arranged insurance for the over 75s.  Loads of us.
? More caves should have online access arrangements (such as those for gaping Gill in the Dales)
? Please can BCA mediate in the ongoing dispute re Ogof Draenan?
? More simplicity with access
? Could offer training to members
? Push for open access.  More user friendly website.
? Streamline access into one access body for each region rather than clubs/committees/companies for each cave/system
? Good: National access policy. Insurance. Events.  Better: Higher profile. Youth involvement/encouragement (know they have given money to uni cavers and kit for them.
? More advertisement to non-cavers to get more young people in
? Expedition funding. Less infighting
? Lots of emphasis on access.  Also proper training for leaders/instructors
? New initiatives all seem very positive directions.  More bribery with chocolate cake preferable.
? Going in right direction.  Spend money on entrances/fixed aids/***?
? Good work on sorting out the travel insurance.  Not sure how well the newsletter is circulated?
? Definitely needs to be an organisation like BCA.  Keep talking to people, but remember you can?t please everyone!
? BCA provides an essential role, however the small minority present an image of caving that is very off-putting.  This small minority needs to be sorted as the north and wales have been.
? Push for greater consistency between regions (ie access)
? Develop a summer youth caving camp.  Run by centres and trainee kids and LCLA
? Less picking on constitutional minutiae to win arguments based on own opinion.
? Online voting
? When sending out proforma for insurance please send out in Nov to give more time as Dec is a very busy time for anyone.
? No Face (except Hellie).  Good work but bit invisible. Getting much better.
? Doing fine
? Appreciate the increased direct communication from the online/email BCA news.  Much easier to keep track current activities/issues
? Could offer training to members
? Not enough of a profile inc. vision, objectives.  What?s in it for membership.
? Toby for BCA chairman

Most cavers took the feedback forms seriously.  If BCA are already doing some of the matters mentioned BCA need to ask ourselves how we can better communicate this to cavers?

I purchased a variety of Perspex holders for the BCA stand ? today I visited Inglesport, Bernies Caf? & White Scar showcave who all agreed to take various BCA leaflets and holders.

I have posted on social media asking cavers to help display the Minimal Impact caving guidelines ? response has been good and I?ll be sending leaflets out next week.  This work, promoting our various leaflets will continue ? New to Caving, BCA Insurance, Minimal Impact etc

I?m planning various posts on the BCA facebook page & on UKC to keep cavers informed on various aspects of our work ? the excellent information sheets various folks sent me ? Y&D, C&A, E&T, Vision etc will be used.  If you have any information you would like to share about BCA and its work, please let me know.  If I have it, I can share it, thank you.