Four Days Filming at Fairy Cave Quarry

The Old Ruminator

Antonia and Andy Freem are concentrating their special talents at Fairy Cave Quarry. Today was day one in Shatter Cave concentrating on cryogenic structures , quarry damage and conservation.

I should have some rushed images along the way.

Saturday in Shatter Cave.

Brief in the car park.

P1120001 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Antonia and Andy with Dave King of the management committee.

P1120003 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

Mr O' Doc arrives  with Mandy and Matt Voysey.

P1120008 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr 

These photos are very rushed and could not be taken during filming.

The Old Ruminator

Most interesting hearing Andy Freem talking about the cyogenic evidence. Shatter Cave has so much of it and it is amazing that for so many years this evidence was mis understood.  Packing for today's trip which will again be in Shatter Cave.

The Old Ruminator

Eight hours filming today with conservation work. The muddy footprints from 50 years ago in Pillar Chamber have been removed today. :clap: Great news. Photos some time when I am recovered. Two more days to go.

alastairgott

TOR, nipped onto your flickr page, the photo of you guys outside in 70s is incredible. Who knew cavers scrubbed up so well.

Oceanrower

I was under the impression that Shatter Cave was closed in the winter for bat conservation. Is this, perhaps, the only Fairy Cave Quarry open in the dark months?

The Old Ruminator

None of the caves at FCQ are closed at any time during the year. Most Mendip clubs have their own FCQ warden ( leader ) or trips can be booked through the management committee . Details in Mendip caves book. Quite frankly we dont have that many trips over the year.
We have recognised so much cryogenic material in Shatter Cave it is quite amazing that it has been unrecognised over 50 years. Filming Fernhill and WL today.

cap n chris

Balch cave and Hilliers Cave are closed during winter months, along with a handful of other minor sites, but the main caves, including Shatter are indeed available year round for visits.

mikem

None of the leader caves - Balch, fairy & Hillier's are the ones that are closed for bats.

Mike

The Old Ruminator

mikem said:
None of the leader caves - Balch, fairy & Hillier's are the ones that are closed for bats.

Mike

Correct. Yes sorry in a rush this morning. Day three filming in the can now to sort the stills.

The Old Ruminator

Fourth day in Withyhill completed but probably some catch ups required in February. The filming team were very patient with my still photography and for that I thank them. I have edited that down to about 150 images.

If folks want me to continue posting images I can but not if the process is tedious to the viewer.

P1130091 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

P1130088 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr

After 50 years give or take I still see new things. This I would never have seen had I not been placing a filming light high up.

P1130083 by Nicholas Chipchase, on Flickr