Caving in Devon

A

arealpal

Hi All
I am a scout leader in the birmingham area and we are doing a summer camp in torquay and i was wondering if there is anywere out there we could do a spot of caving the group will be aged between 9 and 18 apart from the leaders. The group total will be about 30 persons.
Some of the group have done some caving but are far from experienced so an instructor will need to be present could you point me in the right direction.
                                                         Alan                                                                                                 

Les W

Pridhamsleigh cavern (Buckfastleigh) would be ideal for your group.

Do you need an instructor? Has nobody you know got a scout caving cert?
Prid is easy enough with very little to tax you, except route finding perhaps.
Getting irretrevably lost is really not possible, so would just add to the challenge/fun.  (y) (y)

There are one or two instructors that post on this forum, I'm sure they will contact you directly.  ;)

menacer

If you plan on doing a recee in the area the D.s.s  (devon speleo soc)and the william pengelly centre in buckfastleigh, both do cheap bunk style accomodation, and have strong affiliations with the local caves and more importantly cavers. (y)

cap n chris

There's a few instructors down Devon way here:

http://www.caveinstructor.org.uk/pages/instructors.php#mendip,devonandcornwall

rhychydwr1

You will of course need one of these:

THE CONCISE CAVES OF DEVON by A D Oldham, J E A Oldham and J Smart. 1986 revised January 1991, with a note by Jack Baer 02 December 2002.  ii + 62 pp + [2] + 12  +[2] pp supplements, including the Complete Caves of Devon [list of caves by NGR].  40 surveys, 7 maps, 5 photos, with summaries in English, French and German.  The long out of print "Limestones and Caves of Devon" was criticised as being too verbose and of little interest to the sporting caver.  This present volume attempts to over-come these failings by omitting both references and all caves which are filled in or quarried away.  This new revised edition is both 1/3 the price and 1/2 number of pages than its predecessor, even so over 270 caves are described, many with surveys.  Essential reading for anyone considering caving in Devon.    SB  £10.00

available from:

tonyfoldham@hotmail.com[/list]

E

ecowaller

Hi Thanks for contacting me, I have sent you an email regarding prices etc Robbie

cap n chris

It was nice to meet you today, Ecowaller; thanks for the cup of tea and guided tour of a fine cave, too! Give me a PM if you're coming up this way and would like a tour.

A

arealpal

Thank you all for your help and what a good site. I shall pass the web site address to the rest of the district who will find it very usefull when organising camps etc.We are looking at all our options and we will be booking very shortly especially after seeing the one website thank you robbie we will be in touch.                                                                                                                                                                                                          Alan

E

ecowaller

Hi, Thanks for that, I look forward to meeting you and taking your group underground. Robbie