Ogof Fest

Peter Burgess

Congratulations to South Wales Caving Club for an excellent weekend. You should be proud of how well it went.
It was obvious that a huge amount of work went into organising the event.  :beer:

Tony_B

Thanks Peter.

For those who weren't there, or didn't know about it, this weekend SWCC held a massive bash to raise funds towards the purchase of land including Ogof Ffynnon Ddu I, a subject already covered elsewhere on UKC. 150-plus revellers turned up to enjoy a superb hog roast, watch a live set by The Philanderers/The Squirts (long-time SWCC favourites), drink loads of beer (it ran out!), spend money on the wealth of goodies up for auction and take part in a myriad of other activities. Some even managed to go caving too. 

A big thanks to everyone - and there were lots - who worked so hard to stage the event. Everyone I spoke to thought it was a fantastic weekend and I can't remember when we last had a party as good.

I'll try and find out if anyone has an idea of the amount raised and let you know.   

it certainly was an excellent weekend, and ran very smoothly. thanks to everyone involved for organising it, those who were working over the weekend and those who donated stuff

i really did enjoy the way the man doing the auction (sorry i am bad at names) made even the most ordinary of things sound apealling.

Peter Burgess

The auctioneer was Pete Francis. He did the first auction I went to as well and yes he is very good, but everyone was brilliant, friendly welcoming. 

Tony_B

Pete Francis was booked by the organizers of Ogof Fest, to do the auction, because he has fulfilled the same role for the rescue team for many years. He has a unique knack of persuading people to bid proper money for items they didn't know they wanted. He also has a mesmeric effect on any children present - there have been numerous parents who have donated stuff to rescue auctions only to find that their offspring have bid a significant amount for those same items, and that Mum and Dad now have to cough up! Pete is a charity fundraiser's dream auctioneer.

Tony_B

The SWCC Treasurer is still waiting for some of the bills to come in, before he can announce how much was made over the weekend. He will only declare that the event seems to have been 'a financial success'.

If you came and put your hand in your pocket for anything at all, thank you. It's all in a worthy cause.