Bar Pot Allen's Crawl

Zen Monkey

At the bottom of Bar Pot first pitch. Very low crawl which quickly gets worse. Anyone know the history of this? I can understand John Gardener's comment but it has now been revisited......I would say,don't go there without a spade to dig your way out but the best idea would be not at all.....

langcliffe

From Colin Boothroyd's and Phil Johnstone's Bar Pot publication,  it appears to have been first pushed as far as the pitch by Allen Proctor during the LUSS surveying project in about 1977. The publication doesn't say whether the pitch (into Bridge Hall) was descended. See:

http://archives.bcra.org.uk/index.php?display=luss%2Fmbar%2Fbar004-001.jpg

langcliffe

langcliffe said:
From Colin Boothroyd's and Phil Johnstone's Bar Pot publication,  it appears to have been first pushed as far as the pitch by Allen Proctor during the LUSS surveying project in about 1977.

I probably got that wrong - it was more likely to have been pushed by Allen Williams rather than Alan Proctor. My excuse is that it was a long time ago, and memories do tend to fade with the passing years.  I now find it difficult to remember what I had for breakfast...

JoshW

I?ve got most the way down here with srt kit on before getting wedged and becoming the subject of a mini rescue. Reckon it?s passable with no srt kit and in a lubed up PVC suit

JoshW

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=19201.msg246897#msg246897

My trip report of the matter is the first in the thread here!

badger

Josh I wondered how long it was before you said anything. having re read your report I also stated the bedding plane was between limestone so not only should you have thought not badger guage, but the fact it was muddy was also a clue. and also to be fair doldy had been through to small mamual as well and he was there.

JoshW

badger said:
Josh I wondered how long it was before you said anything. having re read your report I also stated the bedding plane was between limestone so not only should you have thought not badger guage, but the fact it was muddy was also a clue. and also to be fair doldy had been through to small mamual as well and he was there.

I was busy working mate, something you're not familiar with, you lazy git  (y)

I am aware it was a terrible mistake, but it won't stop me giving it another go if I go back.

badger

being a "cave safety expert" :-\ is not work but being paid for your hobby. I however is being paid to think  :confused: not work,  :unsure: :eek: :-\

badger

(y) (y) (y) would love to be in your shoes

although I obviously would fall over considering your 2 or 3 sizes bigger than me,

langcliffe

langcliffe said:
langcliffe said:
From Colin Boothroyd's and Phil Johnstone's Bar Pot publication,  it appears to have been first pushed as far as the pitch by Allen Proctor during the LUSS surveying project in about 1977.

I probably got that wrong - it was more likely to have been pushed by Allen Williams rather than Alan Proctor. My excuse is that it was a long time ago, and memories do tend to fade with the passing years.  I now find it difficult to remember what I had for breakfast...

I have been able to confirm with one of the Bar Pot survey team that it was pushed by Allen Williams, who had a peculiar propensity for posting himself into confined spaces.