Romania Advice

A group of us are off to Romania this summer (approx first two weeks in August).

None of us have been there before, we are planning to visit the Apuseni Mountains area.

I have been trying to find a suitable campsite for us to use as a base, but haven't had much luck.  The only one I can find with a web site is near Cluj, but I think this is probably a bit far away from the caving.

I also know about the camp sites in the Padis area, but these are apparently not very nice and have no facilities.

Anyone know of a decent camp site, near enough to the caving regions so that we don't have to drive for hours, that has toilets and preferably showers?

Any other info on caving in this area also gratefully received.

cheers

cap n chris

UBSS did an exped here a couple of years back; no doubt a link will be posted by someone in the know!....

Brains

"campsites" are not common but wild camping is a national pastime, complete with open fires and the local firewater - Sveka is the phonetic name. The local beer is Ursus and goes down well, very well. Mitteitie are local lamd kebab type things and well worth eating. Accomodation is usually very cheap - comparable to camping in western europe, and the locals are gebnerally very hospitable and friendly, but sadly a few may try and overcharge. I have contacts in Oradea in Bihor province which I can pass on if required.
Most of europes remaining wolves and bears live here, but have learnt to be very shy - you will be lucky to see one, but be aware of how you store food, especially meat products... the salami are very good.
If you have time, Bran Castle is on the whole too touristy and not worth the visit despite being the home of Vlad Tepis - the impaler, known to Hollywood as Dracula. The trans fagaras road should be a must do though...

rhychydwr1

Try googling a couple of Romanian caving clubs for local info.  Also the Speleological Institutes in Cluj and Bucharest are very helpful. Tuica [pron t we ca  should you want to try some.  Very good for polishing carbide lamps]

Sally-J

There are several caving huts around although not sure about the specific area you mentioned. The Emil Racovita Institute of Speleology in Closani might be a bit too far South for you, but perhaps they or another caving group might know of somewhere to suggest.

Brains

Just finished the last of my Sveka (Tuica), feeling very wooly/vague... Bear Cave (Pestara Ursus?) is a very good show cave and worth a visit - the cave bear skeletons are BIG - almost glad they are extinct, wouldnt like to meet a live one!

Ceau!

hughpenney

I recommend using a guiding service called Apuseni Experience.  http://www.apuseniexperience.ro/
Although this goes against the grain somewhat they are great, and will tailor their services to your needs/experience.  If you're obviously experienced they won't patronise you by showing you how to cave.
The real value is that it's a huge area of forests.  An Irish group who went there on their own spent half the time just looking for caves - with AE you're guaranteed great trips every day with no hassle.

An alternative is just to use the cavers' accommodation, Casa Speo, which they would probably use with you.  There are two such huts now.  If you go there you can probably get advice on the nearby caves, but I really would recommend using AE for at least part of your trip.  They are always willing to negotiate and do cheap (eg camping) trips if you need.
It's an absloutely fantastic area, have fun!
Hugh

Hi all,

thanks for all the advice and information.

I did try Apuseni Experience, based on the good reviews given by previous groups that had used them, however we found their prices to be a lot higher than we were willing to pay, so have decided to go it alone.......

Hopefully we will find some caves.

cheers