No more DistoX calibration! Happy end?

sluka

Check pictures. Link for these nonmagnetic babies is:http://www.bateria.cz/products/primary-batteries/zinc-chloride-batteries/bateria-popular-r03.html  :idea:

5 ? per one?  ;)

distox_alone.jpg

distox_lion.jpg

distox_popular.jpg

jarvist

All Zinc Chloride batteries (even the Tesco Value ones...) are relatively 'low magnetic signature' as the cell casing is Zinc (as opposed to the usual steel for Lithium / Alkaline primaries), and the active components are non ferromagnetic (unlike NiMh rechargeables). The total signature will depend on what they use for the top / bottom contacts. You can check them out with a little rare earth magnetic.

Is this brand particularly non magnetic?

Genuine 'Low magnetic signature' batteries are certainly available. They use them in science labs near Big Magnets for the opposite reason, so that the battery doesn't end up wrecking equipment at high speed! They may well be prohibitively expensive though.

Zinc Chloride cells have relatively low capacity, particularly with 'peaky' loads such as a disto.

sluka

Main problem of DistoX is calibration because of magnetic cells. New DXT model doesn't work well for the same reason. So did anybody tests with ZnCl batteries and DistoX? Beat wrote me that ZnCl are not available in Swiss. I'll send him dozen to test it. Tesco - there is a problem of quality. The Batteria Popular cells are made in Europe (OK wild East one ;) ) but there are product sheets with not so bad parameters.

jarvist

Amazing! I would have never guessed there was so much variation in battery technologies available for sale.

I guess finding a reliable manufacturer will be a problem, they're such a 'bargain basement' technology that I suspect even a lot of the branded varieties of ZnCl batteries are probably just resleeved cells, bought at the cheapest price possible that month.

Having stolen a magnet off the fridge & raided the back of the cupboard for cells, it appears that the Tesco Value AA batteries have a ferromagnetic top + bottom contact, whereas the AAA cell (or at least, the one that I have!) has an only slightly magnetic bottom contact. I can get my walking compass to deflect perhaps tens degrees with it, compared to going entirely haywire as with a steel cased Alkaline.

Sounds like you might be on to a winner with the Populars then!  (y)
I'm surprised no one has tried this before, but I guess that's always the way!

sluka

jarvist said:
I'm surprised no one has tried this before, but I guess that's always the way!

Me not too. And I used zinc/carbon ones several years in my compass with laser pointer.  :thumbsdown: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Rob

sluka said:
....Beat wrote me that ZnCl are not available in Swiss. I'll send him dozen to test it. ....

Any news on how these batteries perform in a DistoX?