Re: GB Mendip Wezzit?

Amy

graham said:
nod.gif

Afraid I don't have any mendip piccies online so either wait until tomorrow or someone else can have a go.
OOH  OOH I wanna have a go and since I'll prolly never guess Im taking you up on your offer :p

Ok so a bitttt out of focus but here!
5178514688_5a0fe26c15_z.jpg

Amy

Oh I forgot to mention I think ya'all should have to say which cave and where, since everyone knows i"ve only been to two caves in Mendip.

Amy

GB is right, but I don't think where is right. Erm I should've paid more attention to specific place names! I know the bridge though (you mean the bridge that is right by the HUGE ROOM, yeah?), and it's not taken from there.

Edit: found a pdf with a survey of gb in it online. I was thinking right with where you meant, and it is wrong.

graham

The viewpoint is a trifle strange, but I would have thought to recognise the long stalactites in the distance as being those hanging from the fracture (faultline) that cuts across the "HUGE ROOM" from "The Hall". In fact aren't they the same two as visible at the top of Plate 3 (page 5) of this paper?

cap n chris

According to Graham's pictures my initial guess was pretty much (i.e. 10m either way) spot on. i.e. view looking towards the main gorge, downslope of White Passage.

graham

cap 'n chris said:
According to Graham's pictures my initial guess was pretty much (i.e. 10m either way) spot on. i.e. view looking towards the main gorge, downslope of White Passage.

I agree, I think I recognised the curtain from that point as well, indeed I think I cleaned it once.

Cookie

I would say Graham's pic was taken from the place Chris describes. Amy's photo is much closer and nearer the same hight as the "Snakes Fangs" stal.

Was the photo taken from The Hall itself? 

Amy

You're all wrong so far! Hehe I managed to stump Mendip cavers that makes me happy :D

(And as a note, yesterday aside from finding the survey to check where I was, since I have great spatial memory I walked Hatstand through the trip to where I took the photo and he agrees with where I figured out on the survey I was when I took it so I'm not just pulling your leg - Hatstand can back me up here!)

4bags

Taken from the Gallery (the traverse over the stal above the Main Chamber, just after the Bridge), looking in the direction of the 40ft pitch (waterfall) and the Hall??  :confused:

Amy

Nope.

HINTS:
1) get away from the main chamber
2) look backwards - one of the first things my friends told me was to always periodically look backwards in caves because going out is a whole new cave so I do it now randomly all the time by habit. I probably would not have seen this had I not looked backwards.

ps - i clicked the link in your sig...omg awesome one day I want to take photos as cool as those :D I think I need to get a slave flash and a better camera underground first rather than my p&s haha I'm too scared to take my dSLR and stuff underground.

4bags

Blimey, Amy, i'm really stumped with that photo!  :confused:  Thanks for the nice comment on my piccies, most of the caving ones were taken with a Canon Powershot G9... compact, but with a lot of the functionality of a DSLR.

Amy

Hmm okay another hint then: Huge boulder
(prolly not that great of a hint for being a cave...I'm having troubles thinking of any more hints that don't just say where!)

And yeah, it'd be nice if my camera had more manual settings on it. I can set ISO, but that's it, otherwise I just turn off the flash and try and lightpaint with mine/other's lights. It works sometimes very well (I see you found my flickr too, you can see I do get some very nice photos here and there!)...and sometimes not well at all. I'm pretty good at holding it steady but like in this photo it's hard to hold still for a sec or two. I try and find a place to steady the camera against a boulder or wall or something to help. It would be easier if I could use a flash (the flash on this p&s is amazingly bright) but being on-camera I can only use it if the air is pretty clear, or you get all those stupid halos and jazz. Next trip I'm going to try using a KimWipe from the lab taped across the light - I saw people at a concert with a lot of the fog machines using tissue or some sort of diffuser type thing to take clear photos through the fog. Maybe it'd help. What I really need is a slave flash I think, though.

Amy

Still no guesses?

I'll repeat the clues with a bit more detail in them:
1) Get away from the main chamber
2) Remember to look back while caving!
3) I was standing by a huge boulder which I used to steady my camera against to my right as I looked back to take the shot
*NEW* 4) It's not in the hall either

If no one guesses by end of Monday (my time, which is 5 hrs behind so I guess ya'all will learn Tuesday morning when ya get up!) I guess I just get to tell you.

Hehehe ITT: Silly American stumps Mendip cavers on their own cave  :LOL:
Come on Cookie! I thought you knew GB like the back of your hand!!!  :tease:

cap n chris

As already mentioned, twice, your photo was taken from the approximate area marked by the red dot, facing in the direction of the arrow, as shown on the survey below.

Assuming I CBA it would be very easy to replicate your picture perfectly and I may well do so in the next few weeks just as an exercise in itself. I would then be happy to provide you with an accuracy for the photo location which is arguably too pedantic by far.

5234552741_f706d82ee8.jpg

Amy

Chris, it's NOT THERE. No need to get pissy at me. I understand where you and everyone seems to think it is from. The two stalagmites are throwing ya'all off I think. There is a 3rd right next to them, it's blurred out in this photo but if you look you can see it. It's not snake fangs or whatever. It's zoomed in shot, it isn't actually that big. And seeing the photo posted in that file that you or someone else linked, it's not in an area that looks like that at all.

Les and Hatstand were *both* on the trip with me, and *both* can confirm where I took the photo. In fact, on fb chat the other night, Les guessed it - the maner of asking was since he was currious and wanted to know so we decided it didn't count since it wasn't here.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but right now I'm confident with where I remember taking it since two people who were on the trip with me agree with me!

Know what? enough. Les, you win, you're up.

Amy

those photos are not the same place, lots of stalagmites missing, the shape of the roof is wrong. And there are not the various other ones half the size of the three large ones.

Also, I never stood there and took photos looking into the great chamber. I don't have *ANY* photos from there.

As I said, I'm declaring Les the winner.

GO GO LES!