Bath Swallet and Rods Pot connected

Andy Sparrow

On Wednesday 19th September members of the Wessex Cave Club and Cheddar Caving Club succeeded in connecting Bath Swallet and Rods Pot.  It had been anticipated that the upward dig in Bath would connect with the end of 'Purple Passage' in Rods Pot and this proved to be true.  This creates what is probably Mendip's third longest through trip.  Please feel free to enjoy this trip but be aware that:

• The dig, 'Purple Pot', is probably not free-climbable and requires a ladder for ascent (7 metres)
  • Loose material in the Pot is a hazard
  • The crawl at the bottom of the Pot is liable to block and it would be helpful if passing cavers could dig out at least one bucketful of spoil

More information and photos to be posted soon.

rodsbath.jpg

andysnook

Nice one Andy  (y)

When having a nose around a few months ago I found a descent to the right of main chamber with some "purple-ish" stuff in in.  I assume it would be fair to assume this is the start of the connection route.  Cant wait to give it a bash  :)

Andy Sparrow

Here are some photos taken on Wednesday:

alundig.jpg

Alun Williams awaits the arrival of yet another bucket of spoil in Bath Swallet

brendan.jpg

Brendan Hanley gets caught up in the excitement

digentry.jpg

The low crawl leading to 'Purple Pot'

stemple.jpg

Balanced on the slimy accro I have something to smile about!

handshake.jpg

Connection!  The first handshake between the digs.

dig1.jpg

Enlarging the connection.....

dig2.jpg

That should do it!

rachel.jpg

Rachel Payne becomes the first caver to pass the dig

chrisl.jpg

Chris Lank is number two

dannyb.jpg

Meanwhile Danny Burnett recovers from a frantic rush back to the surface to grab a ladder

rachelrods.jpg

First caver to complete the through-trip!

matt.jpg

Matt Amner is first in the other direction

barry.jpg

Closely followed by Barry Hullatt

robin.jpg

And finally Robin Gray who sums it all up... "fantastic!"

Andy Sparrow

ian.p said:
so thats why all the cavers in movies take ice axes with them theyre going diging!

Lent by Barry H - a damn fine digging tool which should probably be in an alpinists' museum somewhere.

This taken from another thread but would be more relevant here....

Walrus said:
If its going to be popular would an exchange trip make life easier? Do you have to rig it at both ends?

The easiest way to do the trip is like this:  Go down Bath and rig a 10-15 metre rope from the bolts above Shower Pot, or ladder and lifeline if you prefer.  You will need to climb down a bit to make sure the rope is properly down as there are numerous ledges it will collect on.  Then you can go down Rods.  There is a bar belay for Purple Pot which should allow a pull-through of a 15-20 metre doubled rope.  Make sure the crawl at the bottom is passable before you pull-through!  It's an obvious route to the bottom of Shower Pot. You can free-climb this quite easily by following the rift to the left.  This takes you to a ledge where, in theory, you should find the end of your rope (and ladder).  It's actually quite easy to free-climb the top of the pitch but the 20 metre exposure will encourage you to be connected to something.

A

andymorgan

Well done everyone!

Hopefully the all the mud will have disappeared by the time I do the trip  :coffee:

pete h

whitelackington said:
Have they still got those curtain hangers,
in place in Bath  :-\

Why not. They are perfectly safe the diggers used them once a week for three years.

cap n chris

pete h said:
They are perfectly safe

Must be true; it's in writing in a public domain.  ;)

I'll happily mod the words to read "they are probably perfectly safe" if you wish - just PM me and it'll be done!....

pete h

cap 'n chris said:
pete h said:
They are perfectly safe

Must be true; it's in writing in a public domain.  ;)

I'll happily mod the words to read "they are probably perfectly safe" if you wish - just PM me and it'll be done!....

Why. If any caver is not happy to use them then don't, They were put in for the use of the diggers and can be taken out and re bolted by the NCA, maybe the UBSS should make the decision as they control access on behalf of the commoners.

graham

Pete, it's "BCA" these days, not "NCA".  :coffee:

Perhaps if the trip proves popular a P-bolt will be suggested to CSCC as appropriate.

whitelackington

Andy Sparrow wrote on post one,
that this is probably Mendips third longest through trip,
well I am assuming Priddy Green Sink to Swildons is the longest,
what's the second?