Bad Air in Nettle Pot

DAN

Just to let Everybody know the bottom of nettle at the end of the Red River, the Air quality seems very poor i would advise against going there.

Dan

biffa

Bottom of Crumble and Beza, keep on going down (very dodgy fixed electron ladder when I was there or 7mm rope), get into a small stream that someone has been trying to enlarge.  Seem to recall someone had written "to hell" with an arrow pointing down Red River.

NOZ

Look at a survey. If you go down the pitches whichever way and get into the horizontal at the bottom freeclimb down to more horizontal. Then follow passage, Red River is straight ahead, hell pitches are down to your right. At end (top) of Red River passage is a descending tube, the dratsab, always had bad air. Never aware of bad air at the start (bottom) of RR passage. Hell pitches have in the past had bad air at the bottom. Red River is by no means the bottom of Nettle. The end of Red River is higher than the start so very unlikely to have bad air.

Rob

Biffa, your thinking of Hell. Red River is so named due to the orangy/red calcite flows. It starts in quite a large drippy chamber so would be suprised if bad air here. At the top of Red River passage the Dratsab continues off to the left, which is indeed a lot harder to come back from. I presume this is where the bad air is Dan?

biffa

Rob said:
Dratsab continues off to the left, which is indeed a lot harder to come back from.

Clue's in the name really. 

Doesn't surprise me I'm wrong, been quite a while since I was down there.

Pitlamp

I remember going down the Red River extension very soon after Frank Brown et al had found it (at their invitation). We had one bloke with us who had difficulty getting back up through the "Dratsab" restriction - as he struggled we all noticed the effects of hypercapnia (raised CO2 levels). Take care down there . . .

P

Prince of Darkness

Pitlamp said:
I remember going down the Red River extension very soon after Frank Brown et al had found it (at their invitation). We had one bloke with us who had difficulty getting back up through the "Dratsab" restriction - as he struggled we all noticed the effects of hypercapnia (raised CO2 levels). Take care down there . . .
I did of course point out that Frank Brown who die of lung cancer rencently, may have been exposed to high levels of Radon while digging at the bottom there. My main point was that bottom of Nettle could be like a well containing high concentrations of heavy Radon and possibly CO2 as well now. I think it's time for some measurements to be made.

philb

I was down Nettle yesterday with a team of 5; in fact to put Frank Browns ashes into the steam at the very bottom. Nowadays I have asthma, which usually is OK while I,m caving climbing etc, but at the bottom of Nettle any physical effort; descending below Beza/Crumble and going down through the crawls, rendered me  breathless. By Red River I really was having to concentrate hard just to breathe, so I binned it and came out mindful of the haul out if short on breath and not wanting to delay the others. Of the other 4, 3 complained of breathlessness and took a long time, so perhaps anyone going there should bear in mind the air quality.
Phil Burke

Rob

Interesting. How was the air down in Hell, where the stream was flowing?
Last time i was there i was sure there was a draught. At the time I just blamed it on the water flow. If the air was a bit clearer down there then that may prove something?!?

graham

Bad air, broken ladder, Frank Brown, fluorescein .... is there anything that isn't down Nettle at the moment?  :confused:

DAN

Me and Bob Toogood Noted exactly the same thing, maybe someone should check the air quality?

Dickie

high levels of Radon while digging at the bottom Don't forget Ben Bentham spent a lot of time digging at the bottom of Nettle (when he was living in the hen hut at Rowter Farm) and the big C got him too!!