Newbies from Rochdale

steady

Hi all,

Me and my girlfriend are new to the caving scene - we had 3 days of caving / SRT training last week in the Mendips - starting with Goatchurch & Swildon's Hole and bottoming Manor Farm Swallet.

We are very interested in getting some caving done up here in the North.

Definitely looking to join a club, already contacted the Rubber Ducks who seem to be the closest to us.

As a starter could anyone recommend some easy caves near here please? (We fall under the Peaks for location, I guess) We were fairly confident with everything that we did last week and we know our limits, I just wouldn't want to risk any pitches without the needed rigging experience.

Would anyone be willing to show some newbies around one weekend/week day evening?

Thanks

Paul & Luci

skippy

At Rochdale you are well placed for the Peaks and the Dales.....Both an hour and a blobs drive.
For the Dales there is Craven, Bradford, YSS, BRCC..the list goes on.Craven has a few novice meets coming up and no doubt the others have similar meets in their program.Take a peek at the various web sites and take yer pick.

dunc

If you're looking to sample some easy caving on your own then the Dales has a few offerings;
Upper & Lower Long Churn Caves - very popular with novices.
Ribblehead area (Thistle, Runscar, Scar Top, Roger Kirk)
Birkwith Area (Birkwith Cave, Old Ing, Dismal Hill, Browgill to bottom of Calf Holes and back)
Great Douk Cave - short but popular through trip.
Skirwith Cave - short ex-showcave.

Have a look through the list on the UKC-Wiki for the above caves, some with brief info and grid refs (some link to maps showing entrances)

Although be aware that they pretty much all contain streams and should be avoided in wet weather.