Pridhamsleigh cavern

Coxie

Hi Folks,

I had my second caving experience in Pridhamsleigh cavern yesterday and it was great  ;).  Organised through a local centre we took in the usual stuff from what i can gather, maggot crawl, the mudslide etc... but now I have the urge to explore a little more.

In the new year I plan to head off with a mate to try and learn some sections of the cave just the two of us.  I am aware that Pridhamsleigh is a bit of a maze but from what i can gather failry safe to explore provided we keep to the well travelled passages.

I am confident I can easily get to the lake and back but am keen to get advice on which sections I should seek out and explore first bearing in mind my experience or lack thereof.  :-\

I am keen to explore the attics, cellars and try and find the well, also I have this overwhelming urge to do the small sump off the grand gallery, where does this lead to and is it a good contender as a first sumping experience?  Also is 'the trip from hell' as nasty as it sounds? :eek:

I would appreciate any advice or guidance.

Many thanks

Paul

dunc

also I have this overwhelming urge to do the small sump off the grand gallery, where does this lead to and is it a good contender as a first sumping experience?
I have absoloutely no knowledge of Pridhamsleigh but 'if' the sump is free-divable I would say it's best to go with someone that knows what they're doing first. Keep to the dry stuff and gain some experience before venturing into free-dives etc...

D

Dear Noel Axle

Hi Coxie,
Dunc's advice is good. Do you mean the sump that comes off the maggot crawl?  If so, it gives an alternative route to the Mystery Pool, but it is tight and looks awkward so I've never tried it.  Another good reason to avoid it is that it is often full of shrimps. 

As you enter the Grand Gallery, the route to the cellars on the right is sometimes sumped - it has an open archway above, so you can see where you are diving to.

I've never heard of the "trip from hell" before, but unless it involves dropping into the Bottomless Pit from Tim's Tunnel then I doubt it is too bad!

Hope this is of help
AH

mrodoc

have a look at my posting in the Devon and Cornwall section. Bear in mind that everybody has their favourite names for bits of the cave. Mine are the 'official' ones from John Hooper who originally surveyed and photographed the cave back in the 40's - if you can get hold of old copies of Cave Science there is a highly detailed description of the cave complete with the survey. It is also likely that in the not too distant future a new survey will be produced featuring Prid 2 in detail.