Post Image A Substitute For Photobucket ? Third Party Hosting.

The Old Ruminator

Well my 20,000 (  :eek:) Photobucket images are still being hosted but I wont be held to ransom because of that. Chances are bang goes the thread here about Reservoir Hole that attracted over 100,000 views. Bang goes pretty much everything else I have here. Now that trust has gone with any third party hosting sites I am beginning to wonder if I can be bothered any more. I am now adding more photos to Facebook groups than forums for the first time. This stands as a huge threat to sites like this. Without images the interest will falter and image less forums will die. Facebook and it's ilk will then reign supreme. Yup. That's the threat we face. I certainly don't mind paying for online hosting and any other service but the cost must be reasonable. My wreck research sites charge about ?20 a year and I dont mind that. $399 pa is excessive. Add blockers are partly to blame I am afraid. As Ad revenue falls away then subscription rates will rise. Any " Freeware " is usually bait in any case as one day the costs will mount up. Forums might even have to become subscription based to cover hosting costs on their own servers. ( No. I dont mind that either if it's reasonable ).
OK Enough doom and gloom. Here are some images from yesterday hosted freely ( for now ) by Post Image.

Post Image is quicker and easier to use than Photobucket. Upload the image and click the hotlink tab at the end. Only takes a few seconds.

Enjoy it all while you can.

rhychydwr1

All that scaffolding :eek:  Willie will be turning in his grave.  He used cement for shoring which will outlast steel bars.

The Old Ruminator

If you want to hump countless tons of cement down 60m ADO pleas join the group. :LOL: Two of us are 70 and the rest getting on that way. Just not the time I am afraid. Anyway its not Reservoir Hole.

Roger W

Pegasus said:
Hi OR, don't despair just yet, we'll see if we can sort something  :)

Is that with reference to the photo issue, the transport of cement, or the OR's advancing years?  ;)

On a more serious note, it looks as if this trick of Photobucket's is going to cause a lot of problems right across the Internet.

I suppose they knew this, and that's why they thought they could hold everybody to ransom.    :mad:

JasonC

Well, thanks for all the photos, Mr Ruminator, I always (used to?) enjoy looking at them  (y)

Amy

I like Flickr. It's prettymuch all I use. I have my own website but it is my "best" not an all-image spot.
My one Flickr complaint is they made collections hard to find. I have a cave collection where all my cave albums are sorted alphabetically. I stopped keeping it up when collections went to the wayside. They have them, but it's buried.
Google also hosts images on picasa and that one is free.

Simon Wilson

Amata said:

Can you expand on that please?

Do you mean they will host them for access on another site such as this forum? I use Picasa a lot and I had no idea that it could be used to do this.

Amy

Simon Wilson said:
Amata said:

Can you expand on that please?

Do you mean they will host them for access on another site such as this forum? I use Picasa a lot and I had no idea that it could be used to do this.
Hmm I haven't used it for ages, but I used it as a spot to hold photos for a scrolling image spot on our cave rescue unit page. I did it by album and it grabbed all images and sized to the frame. So...I may have made an assumption leap? Looking now...
...and ok so picasa is dead.
Google Photos wont. Sorry my bad.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
OK, so every photo I've ever posted on the forum is now on our server and over the next few days/weeks (months/years!  :eek: ), I will repost them and get rid of those annoying photobucket adverts.

This will be a lot of work - if PB hadn't been so greedy, I'd have paid a reasonable amount to stick with them, however they wanted $399 and I'd rather put that money into caving/the forum.

So please bear with me as I swap the photos over - I may bump some threads if interesting enough for another look, hope you don't mind - may need the motivation!

Thanks to Q for sorting this and antwan for his advice too  (y)

Cheers, Pegasus