Irish maps

graham

Thanks, that's very useful. Do you know of a gridded version? The point indicator is fine, but I need to define areas as well as points.

Penguin

You can get the 1:50000 scale mapping which has the Irish grid on it.  I don't think it is possible to layer it on the photography or smaller scale mapping.

graham

Doesn't look like it is, no. I can use this, but if you ever come across a higher resolution version, I'd be pleased to hear about it.

complex

For some unknown reason, a grid magically appears on those on-line maps if you select the 'wind report' option. It also displays everything with a yellow tint, so it might not be what you are looking for. No, I don't know what the 'wind report' option is supposed to do ...

Penguin

I just had another look at it seems that the 1:50000 series mapping is no longer available except through the 'wind map' layer.  Which is a little annoying. 

graham

I don't understand the "wind" thing either, but for my purposes you can pick up a perfectly good screen grab to deal with a 3 km x 2 km area from it. It's the 1:50000 map as far as I can tell, but in a strange shade of yellow.

Still, the person whose presentation I was doing it for seemed pleased.

graham

1:50000 at a decent resolution is about the minimum for what I am doing. OSGB has a reasonable map as open source now at that level.

Duncan

complex said:
For some unknown reason, a grid magically appears on those on-line maps if you select the 'wind report' option. It also displays everything with a yellow tint, so it might not be what you are looking for. No, I don't know what the 'wind report' option is supposed to do ...
graham said:
I don't understand the "wind" thing either, but for my purposes you can pick up a perfectly good screen grab to deal with a 3 km x 2 km area from it. It's the 1:50000 map as far as I can tell, but in a strange shade of yellow.
Click on 'LEGEND' in the menu top right (where it says 'BUY MAP') and all is explained. The map is coloured to indicate mean wind speed, which appears to be pretty close to 8ms-1 for most of the country; pan over to the west coast and there are some red bits!