CAUTION!... and help needed in Rowter Hole

Mark R

It has come to my attention that the old electron ladder in the Icecream Trail in Rowter Hole has finally given up the ghost and partially snapped. Firstly, please be aware if planning a trip that this is now an extremely dangerous hazard and the lack of ladder will make exiting much, much harder.
Secondly I believe the ladder may have been left in place- obviously it needs removing and scrapping immediately so if anyone can do a trip down there to get it back straight away please speak up! (I can?t).
Mark

pwhole

Isn't it possible to rig it with something less perishable than an electron ladder? If one's snapped, surely another also will? A couple of stainless Via Ferrata staples resined in to the wall at the right spot perhaps? We've got some 8mm 7 X 7 strand 316 stainless cable too, if that can be fashioned into 'something'.

Mark R

SUSS COULDNT REMOVE THE LADDER due to rusted maillon so it?s still there. Anyone else heading down please say so.

Tangent_tracker

pwhole said:
Isn't it possible to rig it with something less perishable than an electron ladder? If one's snapped, surely another also will? A couple of stainless Via Ferrata staples resined in to the wall at the right spot perhaps? We've got some 8mm 7 X 7 strand 316 stainless cable too, if that can be fashioned into 'something'.

Sounds a good idea does that Phil, those ladders are horrendous to use. I take my hat off to people who find them easy!

@Mark we have a chap in our club who has all the gear to repair electrons?

I would consider recovering as well so whoever does update this thread :)

Mark R

It?s the second (10m) ladder. The first short one was replaced with cord a long time ago.

Tangent_tracker

Mark R said:
It?s the second (10m) ladder. The first short one was replaced with cord a long time ago.
With you suggesting it's the second ladder mark I will need a willing volunteers shoulder to stand on LOL

Anyway, if anyone is prepared to realise Phil's idea above I am prepared to help lug gear down and back and help out  (y)

alastairgott

The ladder has been flipped, the bottom is now the top.

It's been fixed (temporarily)

Thanks mark, mark, mark, tom, and the badgers for a great trip.

We got into Sunrise, a truely bloody awesome place.

MarkS

Mark and I finally removed the offending ladder on Sunday. We have not left anything in its place but the accompanying hand-line remains. There are no immediate plans to install any additional fixed aids.

For those very familiar with the drop, it is feasible to free-climb it with care, but a ladder (or belay) would seem sensible for anyone unfamiliar with it or with novices in the group. Sustaining any significant injury at that point would be seriously problematic.

Tseralo

Ethel.Bangrod said:
A_Northerner said:
So when will the via ferrata staples be put in?  ;)

All materials and labor in Derbyshire has been diverted to Longcliffe pending the installation of a Stanna stairlift

We will need a bigger helicopter to get that up there!

A_Northerner

Tseralo said:
Ethel.Bangrod said:
A_Northerner said:
So when will the via ferrata staples be put in?  ;)

All materials and labor in Derbyshire has been diverted to Longcliffe pending the installation of a Stanna stairlift

We will need a bigger helicopter to get that up there!

Is that an acquisition order you're putting in there? The Gods of UKCaving may yet provide.

Tseralo

alastairgott said:
Just need a proximity sensor for the gate to open on arrival and boot up a sound system for a fanfare.

FFS dont give Phill and Scott any more ideas!

A_Northerner

alastairgott said:
Just need a proximity sensor for the gate to open on arrival and boot up a sound system for a fanfare.

Proximity sensor with RFID that's implanted in all TSG members so only you guys can get down there?  :-\ :-\ :-\