Sad Simple - missing bolt

ASmith

I've managed to lose the bolt on my Petzl Simple which holds the front plate to the rest of the descender.  o_O

If anyone has a more sad Simple which has been retired, I'd be grateful if I can pinch the bolts from it.

Attachments

• DSCN3605.JPG
    DSCN3605.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 537

AlexR

I may be wrong about this, but from the look of your picture it's just a nut you're missing, and it will be an M8 or M10 (don't remember from the top of my head). Their cost is negligible and you can get one from any hardware store (thin hexagon nut), I'd suggest getting some loctite or similar to make sure the next one doesn't escape that easily :)
Even if it is a bolt that's missing, they're cheap and cheerful, too.

paul

You are wrong Alex.  :)  They look live a "normal" nut but they are the ends of a threaded sleeve which creates the gap for the side plates.

AR

Might be worth contacting Caving Supplies and see whether they can help, I've got a dim recollection that they used to keep some spares for Stops and suchlike. As Paul rightly points out, the part in question isn't a nut or a bolt, it's a bolt-headed sleeve with internal thread so not something your local hardware merchant will have in stock.

pwhole

I had my Kong Banana's lower nut come undone halfway down Maskhill last year, just getting onto a rebelay. Luckily I spotted it in time before it fell off and was able to tighten it up with the 13mm spanner I usually carry. A few weeks ago someone else noticed the same nut was loose as I was about to go underground. Now I check it every trip!

Leclused

paul said:
You are wrong Alex.  :)  They look live a "normal" nut but they are the ends of a threaded sleeve which creates the gap for the side plates.

Take a look at the tech pdf of the simple. There you'll see that is is not a normal bolt :) Page 2

file:///C:/Users/leclused01/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/technical-notice-SIMPLE-2.pdf

andrewmcleod

pwhole said:
I had my Kong Banana's lower nut come undone halfway down Maskhill last year, just getting onto a rebelay. Luckily I spotted it in time before it fell off and was able to tighten it up with the 13mm spanner I usually carry. A few weeks ago someone else noticed the same nut was loose as I was about to go underground. Now I check it every trip!

That is apparently a problem with the Kong Banana - unlike Petzl who do a long threaded sleeve (much safer as it won't fall off as easily), the Kong Banana either isn't threaded along the length or just has a bolt put on (can't remember which) and the threads mashed a bit by them hitting the end of the bolt (or something like that).

paul

Leclused said:
paul said:

Take a look at the tech pdf of the simple. There you'll see that is is not a normal bolt :) Page 2

file:///C:/Users/leclused01/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/technical-notice-SIMPLE-2.pdf

That's pointing at a file on you hard drive, you want https://www.petzl.com/sfc/servlet.shepherd/version/download/0681r00000BAtylAAD for the web URI.

Leclused

paul said:
Leclused said:
paul said:

That's pointing at a file on you hard drive, you want https://www.petzl.com/sfc/servlet.shepherd/version/download/0681r00000BAtylAAD for the web URI.

Sorry my mistake.

AR

andrewmc said:
That is apparently a problem with the Kong Banana - unlike Petzl who do a long threaded sleeve (much safer as it won't fall off as easily), the Kong Banana either isn't threaded along the length or just has a bolt put on (can't remember which) and the threads mashed a bit by them hitting the end of the bolt (or something like that).

The technical term is peening, the bolt end is hammered to spread it out and prevent the nut moving but over time, the nut can start to move and bit by bit, un-peen the bolt end. I'll have to check my Banana, not that I'll be using it for several weeks... :cry: