Water in Stoney

T pot 2

For those that may be interested Watergrove Sough is no longer flowing. Hawkenedge Sough is down to the lowest flow level that I have seen over the years. Victory level may also be low looking at the outflow of Moorwood Sough.

T pot

SamT

It is indeed still bone dry,  Merlins still open to sump 8. 

Has anyone ever syphoned shags sump, from the carlswark side,  we got a reasonable distance in the other week (from merlins) and there is no flow there, so could be done as a through trip.

martinb

One of our lot got to Merlin's 8 about a fortnight ago - the furthest he said he's ever been and he said the water level was lower than he's ever seen it.

He noticed the aven at sump 8 and wondered where exactley under the Delph that may end up  :-\

Watergrove Sough was still flowing on 7th September - quite strongly as well as 2 of our people got rather damp and cold that evening!  :LOL:

We've got the divers going into Nickergrove Streamway shortly so perhaps that'll stay dry for them....... :bow:

John B

Tom Proctor and John Cross pumped Shag's Sump from the Carlswark side in August 1983, which enabled us to do an accurate survey through it. It is quite a big water surface, and they found that baling 100 buckets made hardly any difference, hence the pump.

We got twenty or thirty feet into Merlin Sump 8 in 1990. It appeared to continue too tight, but after all that big passage have we missed something?

martinb

danthecavingman said:
Upstream Merlins would surely be the same as downstream Streaks / Nickergrove?

Not quite proved or disproved 100% yet.

Hopefully fairly soon all will be revealed.

Martin

6198327779_a27569af9a_b.jpg

Apologies, Nickergrove on left with Streamway going northeast, Merlins on left with Sump 8 and Aven poking southwards. About 90m in a straight line between the two.

John B

Bear in mind that there can still be a stream in Streaks / Nickergrove when Merlin is dry. There must be a down-dip route that by-passes Merlin / Carlswark, which makes downstream Nickergrove interesting.

chockymike

John B said:
Bear in mind that there can still be a stream in Streaks / Nickergrove when Merlin is dry. There must be a down-dip route that by-passes Merlin / Carlswark, which makes downstream Nickergrove interesting.
And this is why we dug back down to it

pwhole

A group of us entered Carlswark today at around 12pm via the Resurgence entrance, and got through the sump into Aladdin's Rift, with about six inches of airspace remaining. It made for a rather quick trip, but nevertheless, it's open!

John Beck told us afterwards it was 1976 when he and Doug had last been through there. Don't know how long it'll last, but at the moment, it's do-able...

Rob

pwhole said:
A group of us entered Carlswark today at around 12pm via the Resurgence entrance, and got through the sump into Aladdin's Rift, with about six inches of airspace remaining. It made for a rather quick trip, but nevertheless, it's open!

John Beck told us afterwards it was 1976 when he and Doug had last been through there. Don't know how long it'll last, but at the moment, it's do-able...
Aladin's Rift? Where's that? Surel'y you couldn't get all the way through to Stalactite Passage?!?

pwhole

The rift at the inner end of the mined level which connects to the lower sump? I think it's the bottom of Aladdin's. The airy traverse is at the top of the rift, but we came up out of the mined level at base and bumped into a couple of guys who were rather surprised to see us! Lots of whooping. I've only been in Carlswark a few times and get lost really easily, but I recognise that bit, after a futile attempt by someone else to go the other way last year. Martyn, Mick and John went back out through the sump to show these guys it could be done, but they didn't want to, apparently.

caverholic

Never heard of that being open recently might have to go and have a look. I remember Dave Webb talking about going through there sound good fun.

Rob said:
Aladin's Rift? Where's that? Surel'y you couldn't get all the way through to Stalactite Passage?!?

Well I guess he means Aladdins crawl which is at the end of stal passage.

martinm

You could probably benefit from looking at a more detailed and up to date survey such as one of the ones on the peak cave monitoring web site. This page:-

http://www.peakcavemonitoring.org.uk/content/view/7/8/

It shows Lower Sump leading to Rift Sump and Aladdin's Crawl. Then you just climb up into Stalactite Passage somewhere in this area. (Was there just a few years ago, but sump was closed then.)

martinb

Indeed. I was in Carlswark on 2nd May and the Rift Sump had very little water. The right hand connection into Lower Sump from Rift Sump had about 1 foot of air space.

One assumes that that bit is almost dewatered now. At the other end, we got past the drop from Eyam Passage before we encountered any water - probably only 50m away from t'other end.

pwhole

mmilner - I've got the COPD version, which is more up-to-date, admittedly, but this one has an elevation, which was a great help for me in understanding the sump section.

As for the right-hand connection from Rift Sump (martinb), I assume you mean the mined level with shotholes? That still held water, but not a scary amount - quite silted though, so it was more like potter's slip by the time we'd all been through!